PAETE.ORG FORUMS
Paetenians Home on the Net

HOME | ABOUT PAETE | USAP PAETE MUNISIPYO  | MEMBERS ONLY  | PICTORIAL PAETE | SINING PAETE  | LINKS  |

FORUM GUIDELINES
please read before posting

USAP PAETE Forum Index USAP PAETE
Discussion Forums for the people of Paete, Laguna, Philippines

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some thoughts on education, and a small policy proposal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Batang Paete
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animemous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Some thoughts on education, and a small policy proposal Reply with quote

First, congratulations to this year's graduates!

I have seen various programs in place or being planned that tell us that our kababayans value education very highly. I can think of a few notable projects: Alay Computer, $20 Club, Matanglawin scholarships, and feeding programs. I can see that the feeding programs are now in the process of being "synergized" and I wish that it will be successful and sustainable. A lot still needs to be done. While I think that we are doing a good job in each and individual endeavors, I think we can still make it better by keeping the discussion sustained, educated, and civil. A child's formal education starts with prep school/kindergarten which is optional, then primary school and high school which are mandatory(? - pls. correct me if I'm wrong), then technical/college/university, then probably graduate school which are of course optional.

We have public schools now in both elementary and high school and there are very good non-sectarian (public) tertiary schools near us. When I was a graduating high school student, I didn't know what major to pursue in college (how to pursue it, in financial terms, was a much bigger issue then). Added to this we didn't know about UPCAT schedule and so we were too late that nobody from our batch was able to apply much less to prepare and take the exams. It would have been nice if somebody, anybody, could help guide us what were our options early on. My parents are both professionals but they don't know much about engineering and I was inclined to take a major in the sciences or engineering.

When I was looking for a vocational/college/university, my only option in furthering my studies was through a scholarship because we couldn't afford it. I was a lazy student but I learned a few things here and there so I can say I had a fair chance of getting one. As it turned out, I failed in all our - with my mother - attempts so I had to stop schooling for a year. (I fondly look back to this 1 year of no-school as my lost year as nothing much happened in that year. I only remember it whenever I update my CV which I was doing a few hours ago because there is always a skip of one year between high school and college.) One of the scholarships I failed to secure was not on academic grounds since I did well in the interview and in the written exams though I had mediocre grades in my high school report card (my GA was 81% or 82%). It was a technical (vocational) scholarship and what did me in was because I was too small and skinny that the interviewers thought I could not had possibly been able to lift the big hardwood desk in front of me when I was asked if I could lift it all by myself. That technical course I heard would require hundreds of man-hours of manual training like filing metals and shaping them to precision according to some written technical specifications. The program was designed to produce a skilled laborer that can be employed in companies that manufacture or repair mechanical contraptions, for example cars or printers. Another scholarship that I wanted to try was DOST but I wasn't able to do that though I couldn't remember the exact reason why. It must be because of missing the application deadline.

A year later when I finally had another chance at schooling, I didn't decide on my final college major until I filled in my application form. My mother had convinced me to take something about machines after she talked to another kababayan who incidentally was pursuing the same course in the same school which my mother found out about. She was able to convince my mother. A few weeks later, I was enrolled for a major I didn't have the slightest idea about except that it was deemed "in demand" much like nursing nowadays. In short, my choice was more an economic consideration instead of me fulfilling my childhood dream of becoming an astronomer or a physicist that I could easily have gotten from a decent public school but might not be able to land a decent job, or so the traditional "thinking" goes. Now looking back, my accidentally chosen career was not as bad as I thought it was as it touches on many things and many disciplines that makes it very interesting already.

Probably I have said too much already and yet not what I really intend to say. It's very simple. I want to make a small proposal. Here is a small idea I have been playing in my mind over and over for some time now.

I think we should continue to synergize our various programs touching education beyond just the feeding programs but to a bigger whole that will include a well-coordinated effort to land as many of our high school graduates specially the promising ones a college/vocational diploma. In my opinion, this proposed program should complement other existing efforts like the feeding programs, the $20 club, the Alay Computer, etc.

I wish to propose a platform/framework for helping high school children prepare for tertiary education. Of course not everyone can pursue tertiary education mainly for financial reasons and secondly for academic reasons so a part of this program should have a component that shall help those who are academically outstanding but financially unable to pursue further education, to land scholarships or avail of financial assistance through scholarship loans. This means the parent/guardian will be involved in much of the process. I have searched the DOST website and I can see many options available if only we can help the kids tap the DOST and other scholarship resources fully.

Important Points

1) Books

For example, all my college textbooks I already gave to a neighbor who needed them when it was her turn to go to college taking the same major I took. Part of this career counseling is a continuous follow-through with the scholars like lending or giving them our old college textbooks if they are still considered current or buying used textbooks at a discount from our recent-graduate kababayans if they are not willing to give them away for free. Or encouraging our future scholarship alumni to give back textbooks they no longer need. In short, book assistance to students.

2) Library

Since our town doesn't have a decent public library, meanwhile we can donate our used/new books to the school libraries of LDP/ELC/PEQMNHS and encourage them to give access to their libraries to our college students regardless of alma mater. We can catalog their books so that students will know which library is home to a particular book of interest. Some of us probably have small private libraries. We can include them in the catalog if owners are willing to participate by granting access to their books or donating them to one of the schools so more people will be able to have access to them. (Finally, we should have a truly public library accessible to anyone.)

3) Career mentoring

We should invite volunteers from practitioners of professions to talk about their work to graduating students so they can have Q&A's where they can have a more practical grasp of what a chosen major might potentially lead to career-wise. We can also refer the students with parents to kababayan practicing graduates by setting appointments between them to talk about their particular major. For example, I can knowledgeably talk about my own profession which is directly related to my college major but may not be understood by high school students (a lot of my classmates I had were math-averse so they shifted majors on their second year after learning too late that our major had more than 10 math subjects) but I cannot talk about psychology and the possible career aspects of it so matching between career and resource speaker is very important specially if the speaker is gainfully employed related to his chosen college major. If we can provide a setting where 1 or 2-hour sessions can be participated with as many students as practically possible, the better we use the time of the volunteer practitioners.

4) Scholarships

We should have a directory of as many as possible scholarship programs including contact persons, schedules/calendar of examinations, office address, alumni of those scholarship programs, updated list of requirements, etc. which we can provide to students who need assistance. One usual part of a scholarship application is a proof that the family income is below a certain amount. This proof is always the most recent income tax return filed at the time of the application. In this regard, we should encourage parents to file an income tax return yearly even and most specially if their taxable income is zero. Filing a tax return doesn't mean paying taxes if the amount is really low, provided that it's truthfully really low, and these kids are the ones who need most the help they can get. (We should not encourage filing a false tax return if only to get the scholarship.)

5) Study-now-pay-later programs (SNPL)

I scanned through the DOST pages and they have such a program. One of the requirements was a loan guarantor who should be an SSS or GSIS member. If the student can have a relative act as a guarantor, then that part is taken cared of. If I'm not mistaken, the SNPL program of DOST requires payment 2 years after graduation from college, for ten years at a modest interest rate. We should help students avail of this option.

6) GA

I don't know if this is still the case, but back in my time the general average (GA) was required to be at some percentage to be eligible to enroll in some college/universities. Me being a lazy student got mediocre grades that are not sufficient to be accepted in other institutions with "stricter" requirements. Fine. But one interesting thing was that in my class, there were only five students who didn't get a line of 7 in third year and only five students who didn't get a line of 7 grade in fourth year. They are not the same five students so our batch could only have four honor students upon graduation - all four had grades that didn't really stand out compared to graduates of other comparable schools. I am bringing this up not as an issue now since everyone has moved on but to make a point: that if GA is still considered that important, the teachers should try to lift the grades a little to reflect the academic standings of the students vis-a-vis other schools.

7) Job placement resources

If we can, we should build a database of help-wanted by encouraging kababayans to notify our assistance desk of any job openings in their companies. We should be recommending the graduating acadamic scholars to fill in such vacancies even internships if they are qualified.

8 ) Preparation of potential scholars

This should be the task of the schools and should be considered a given.

9) Optional - sponsoring scholars

Kababayans who are willing to sponsor college scholars can work together within this framework on searching for candidates in an objective manner.

-----------------

How to make it work:

I think assisting students in all matters concerning tertiary education will require a year-round job, therefore I propose that one person be on the municipal payroll (or some other pledged source) just for this role. I call this the municipal special desk for education assistance. The successful candidate must have civil service eligibility and must provide regular report about status of applications and problems encountered. Since criteria for choosing applicants are objective, e.g., GA, income tax return, guarantor, NCEE (equivalent), college entrance exam results such as UPCAT, and no money will be involved in assisting students for tuition fees, I see very little reason why favoritism should arise. Part of the role is to organize career orientation seminars to third year and fourth year students of the three high schools jointly or separately and to prepare leaflets and flyers regarding the program and making them available through various bulletin boards and with the help of the schools to the students' guardians by giving them printed copies outlining the program, inviting speakers for the seminars, assisting students wit their requirements like tax returns, and so on.

I think it's a small recurring investment on our part but if we can produce more graduates from our yearly crop of promising students than we do now, the returns will be enormous in the long-term by making our small hometown not only a good producer of artists (per capita) but also of scientists and engineers and educators and skilled craftsmen/tradesmen.

I know bringing this now (March) is rather late for school year 2009~2010 but we can start brainstorming the mechanics in time for next school year. I also know that there are many issues currently plaguing the elementary and high school but I deliberately omitted them. We can discuss them in other threads.

Let the discussion begin. Criticism of this idea are very much welcome and encouraged. Please make one point at a time and please quote which portion you are critiquing. If you know of something already in place or overlapping with any of these ideas, please put them on the table so we can include them in the discussion. If in the end, the exercise didn't produce anything tangible because my ideas were found flawed, I should be thankful to know its weaknesses/flaws so we can think of something else feasible and I hope everyone who participate shall find this exercise enlightening.

I made point 9 optional since it will involve money from a sponsor to a student which may become a source of future issues that we better avoid. Other than that, please take note that the scholarships and SNPL are shouldered by the sponsors like the government and private companies in case of DOST or some other scholarship foundations so there should be little reason to favor one over the other, i.e., kamag-anak system. The only money involved in this proposal is in the salary of one person and expenses incurred by this office in discharging its functions/duties.

The immediate goal if this is indeed deemed good and feasible is to hammer down the details a bit on how possibly this can be made to work. The end product should be some clearer picture on how this can be adopted into a course of action and on how to evaluate if this is successful or not, e.g., how many scholars we have successfully put on the DOST program.

If you manage to read up to this point, thank you already.
saida

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Animemous for these very interesting insights. Ngayon lang ako nagka chance magbasa ng matagal tagal dito sa USAP so ngayon ko lang ito nakita. You have very good points and I hope our kababayans will take notice of them. Let me share also my experience in the hope that others would learn from it.

Like you, and I’m sure many others too, I was at a loss on what course to take after graduating from SSHS. My parents were not very keen on education, kung anong gusto naming course ay bahala kami. In their minds, their only role was to provide the tuition fees and allowance for our schooling. Ni hindi ko matandaan na tuwing matatapos ang semester ay tinanong man lang nila kami kung kumusta ang aming grades. Ni hindi nila alam kung anong hitsura ng class cards dahil hindi nila hinahanap. My mother finished high school at ELC and my father who hated schooling like his other siblings finished only second year high school. A very industrious man, he wanted to work at a very young age to prove that he can support himself even without a father. I think his father [my grandfather] died when he was only 2 years old so his mother singlehandedly raised her 7 children. Without proper guidance, education took a backseat and he was preoccupied with work, work and work.

Before our high school graduation, the school invited several professionals who talked about their jobs in their chosen fields. Yun yung sinabi mong Career Mentoring. There was an engineer, a teacher, a nurse and others who gave us an idea on what to expect in case we opted to follow their professional path. I forgot the name of the speaker who was a nurse but I can vividly remember what she said: “Mag aalaga kayo ng pasyente at importante na sa umaga pagkakita ninyo sa kanila ay nakangiti kayong babati sa kanila ng isang Magandang Umaga Po”. Marami pa siyang kwento tungkol sa trabaho ng isang nurse and the more she talked about it, the more I was convinced that nursing was not for me. Never did I realize that after 5 years, I would be graduating from my Bachelor of Science in Nursing course.

I never really liked nursing, but because I did not have the proper guidance, I got carried away by my friends who all enrolled in Pre-Nursing course. My original plan was to go to UST for a commerce degree but it would mean separation from my high school best friends so I joined them. It was too late to back out when I realized that I was not happy with my course. Aayaw ko namang mag shift dahil nahihiya na ako sa magulang ko who already spent so much for my schooling. Though I graduated with high grades and passed the nursing board exam with flying colors, I was not happy. Everybody was expecting me to work abroad like all my contemporaries but I chose to stay.

My case is a very typical example of the points you are trying to emphasize. Though there was Career Mentoring from the beginning, the role of parents still play a major part in the child’s decision. I am very open to your ideas and proposal. Since the concentration of the $20 club is on the high school students, I think Career mentoring is best suited for them. I will present this to the $20 club mailing list and hopefully we can get feedback and suggestions from our members.

How I wish we have enough resources to build a library which is a must in every community.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think at present we have this NCAE (National Career assestment Test)...mtagal ng wala ang NCEE. CHED is giving scholarship for students who'll get higher scores...and i think last year about 40 thou(?) studes were granted scholarship to college..those who got 97%(?) n above. pls search on this...
Animemous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I think at present we have this NCAE (National Career assestment Test)...mtagal ng wala ang NCEE. CHED is giving scholarship for students who'll get higher scores...and i think last year about 40 thou(?) studes were granted scholarship to college..those who got 97%(?) n above. pls search on this...

Thank you for your input. I'm sure that it's no longer called NCEE since it has been replaced (maybe more than once) by something else.

About CHED scholarship, I would be glad if you can point me where I can get such statistics including how many came from Paete. Also, my idea is to include any other scholarship program out there not just CHED. Things we would like to know for example are

How many of those 40 thousand(?) students came from Paete?
How many from Paete who were eligible (e.g., 97%(?) of that exam and by some other criteria) were able to avail of the scholarships?
If eligible but wasn't able to avail of the scholarship, what were the reasons and what can we do to help improve the chances for the next batch of graduates?
What other scholarship programs are there aside from CHED/DOST and how can we help other students who wish to further their studies but cannot do so for one reason or another (that we can help on)?

Thanks.
kanoel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on how to improve our educational system, particularly your policy proposal. I have several exchanges of emails with Prof. Angel de Dios, you probably know him as one of the pillars of our Alay Computer Project and many more priceless contributions to enhance the education of our Batang Paete, and he too shares the importance of your ideas.
The National Achievement Test (NAT) for graduating High School students is the tool being used by DEPED to determine the aptitude of a student on what would be the most appropriate course to take. If we could somehow customize this, not on a national level, but tailor made for our Public High School, we could probably come up with a more comprehensive result. As Prof. Angel said, “The way it normally works involves a great deal of initiative from the school itself”. I could initiate a meeting with the Local School Board, mainly the District Supervisor, the principals the guidance councillor and the PTCA president to brain storm about your proposal. If you are in town, it would be nice to have you in that meeting any time of your convenient. If you don’t mind, I would appreciate having your private email address. You can communicate with me at ecadayona@yahoo.com
Again, thank you very much,
Ka Noel
Animemous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

I guess your source is this:

www . ched . gov . ph / statistics/stufaps.html

The idea is to drill down on the statistics at the Paete-level. We will be needing the help of the schools on getting this number.

The CHED program summary is here:

www . ched . gov . ph / scholarships/local.html

(sorry for the broken link)

What we need is to get somebody study the various components/options and fully understand them so that he/she will be able to effectively help asprirants/parents in availing them and directing them what are the options out there, not only from CHED but from other foundations/organizations as well. The task is to help the asprirants from preparing the applications and assisting them mainly with paperwork, schedules, contacts, follow-ups, until the aspirant is able to qualify and enroll (or if unqualified, to know the reasons why and probably keep records for program review later.)

Again, thanks for your input.
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka Noel:

The high schools should be thinking along the lines pointed out by the poster. If they agree with the points made then the schools should develop the specifics on how these points could be implemented. That is how it would work.

-Angel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the link provided above:

"STATE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM (SSP)

The SSP was established by virtue of RA 4090 otherwise known as the State Scholarship Law for poor but deserving students who belong to the top 10 of the graduating class in high school and who intend to enroll in priority courses in selected HEIs. Applicants should not be more than 25 years old at the time of application to the program. Their parents or guardians have a combined gross annual income of not more than Php 120,000.00"

And opening the provided document, it doesn't look like it's limited to graduating students only. It says there age limit is 25 years old and that the target audience are college freshmen. It can be interpreted as including HS graduate from previous school years provided they are qualified under the other criteria. Some documents will be required from the high school where he/she graduated.
Animemous

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka Noel and Angel,

Thank you for your interest on this idea. As Angel said, if the schools will be more proactive on this issue, we don't need a new person to be on the payroll although this is definitely additional burden on the teachers. Since LDP and ELC are private institutions that charge tuition fees from their students, most likely their families already earn beyond the 120k limit on gross income so this is more applicable to graduates of the national high school where many families genuinely need more help. Just a thought.
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animemous wrote:
Ka Noel and Angel,

Thank you for your interest on this idea. As Angel said, if the schools will be more proactive on this issue, we don't need a new person to be on the payroll although this is definitely additional burden on the teachers. Since LDP and ELC are private institutions that charge tuition fees from their students, most likely their families already earn beyond the 120k limit on gross income so this is more applicable to graduates of the national high school where many families genuinely need more help. Just a thought.

Correct, this task cannot placed upon a teacher because this is a significant amount of work and responsibility. That is why schools usually have a guidance counselor, who is in charge of career counseling, test preparations, applications, opportunities....
kanoel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel and Animemous,
We have decided to concentrate on POTEN's 4th year students. After the Holy Week, I'm planning to meet with the District Supervisor, the principal, the guidance councilor, the 4th year teachers and the PTCA president to the discuss the ideas of Animemous. If it so warranted, I'm willing to invest on a full time coordinator of this project under the Municipal payroll. We just have to define his duties, responsibilities and accountability.
Ka Noel
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanoel wrote:
Angel and Animemous,
We have decided to concentrate on POTEN's 4th year students. After the Holy Week, I'm planning to meet with the District Supervisor, the principal, the guidance councilor, the 4th year teachers and the PTCA president to the discuss the ideas of Animemous. If it so warranted, I'm willing to invest on a full time coordinator of this project under the Municipal payroll. We just have to define his duties, responsibilities and accountability.
Ka Noel

Ka Noel;

What students will do after graduation from high school is part of the overall mission of high school education.

To provide a basic outline of what this means I am copying a description of a course offerred by the Adventist University of the Philippines in their secondary education program:

Quote:
EDUG 324 INTRODUCTION TO GUIDANCE & COUNSELING w/ SPED – 3 UNITS. This is an introductory course for basic guidance work. It does not aim to provide everything about guidance and counseling, but surely, it will provide sufficient orientation for education students to acquire a working knowledge of the principles, objectives, set-up and various services of guidance and counseling programs. This course will further equip the would-be-teachers to comprehend, construct and accomplish the different instruments of assessing pupils’ strengths and weaknesses, as well as coping mechanisms for students to make successful adjustment in their lives.

In order to provide opportunities for higher education (scholarship and career options), one must;

(1) be aware of various scholarship opportunities, their requirements, application deadlines, etc.
(2) be able to invite outside volunteers who are willing to talk about their careers/jobs

The above could be done by a person outside of the school structure (that is, a coordinator outside of the school under the municipal mayor).

However, this is just one part of the equation. The following are also essential (and as I have suggested earlier, forces the need for the program to be developed inside the school and not from outside):

(1) knowledge of students' skills, weaknesses and strengths, which requires access to students' records, as well as an ability to administer diagnostic or practice exams.
(2) cooperation with faculty

The only way (1) and (2) would be met is that the person exercising these duties is part of the school and answers directly to the principal.

And as I have mentioned in a previous post, these activities are integral to the job and responsibilities of the guidance counselor of the school.
Animemous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Related posts Reply with quote

I searched USAP for related threads, these are what turned up:

about DOST scholarship application:

paete.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3216

somebody was mentioned to be a DOST exam passer:

paete.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4165&highlight=dost

and of course, Ar-jhay:

paete.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4539&highlight=dost

What are the known scholarship programs out there and how do we get more detailed information? Maybe we can start from here

gov .ph/faqs/scholarships.asp

How many promising students have the potential to enroll on a scholarship program?
How many of them, if they were aware of any scholarship program, never attempted to apply for one reason or another and what were the reasons?
How many succeeded in securing a scholarship; what were the lessons learned?

(I know that again the main theme of the answer is the lack of financial resources since application usually requires some travel to/from the offices of the foundations/schools but still we need to cite other reasons for completeness than maybe draw a plan if these issues can be at least mitigated.)

The main reason that I can think of is "I don't know where to start."

Out of these answers we may delve deeper and ask What were the usual reasons why students that desire to pursue college/vocational education and had the potential to qualify for any scholarship failed to (attempt to) avail them? Are the reasons something that can be addressed by a more focused effort such as something that I hope can be achieved by this policy proposal?

If a student failed this year (simplest reason is missed deadline), is it possible for him/her to make another attempt the following school year? What are the things he will need and how can we help facilitate them?

For students who have successfully hurdled the exams/requirements but still failed to avail of the scholarship, what were the individual reasons?

Hopefully, as the program matures, we shall have a richer experience from which we can base future policy fine-tuning and enhancements.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sa pagkakaalam ko po, yun pong mga colleges and universities dito sa laguna especially the private ones eh nag-aaproach po sa mga public high schools to conduct career orientation seminar...

ito pong activity eh kalimitang nag-uumpisa sa buwan ng august onwards kaya before the school year ends eh my idea na ang mga bata on what course are they going to take.

nakatutulong din po yung annual administration ng DepEd ng NATIONAL CAREER ASSESMENT EXAMINATION. ito po yung kapalit ng NCEE na magkaibang magkaiba ng depinisyon.. katulad po ng napanood ko before sa ANC (abs-cbn news channel), wala pong bumabagsak sa NCAE unlike NCEE na pag bumagsak eh hindi po makapag-aaral ng kolehiyo. Ang NCAE po eh nagsisilbing diagnostic test sa mga bata upang malaman kung saang larangan nag-eexcel ang bata.. katulad po ng nakita ko sa resulta ng NCAE nga aking pamangkin.

malaking factor po talaga ang kakulangan sa pananalalapi kaya hindi nakapag-aaral ang isang istudyante sa kolehiyo. isipin pa lamang ng mga high school student na walang pampaaral sina nanay o tatay ay nawawalan na sila ng interes sa kolehiyo.

tungkol naman po sa mga scholarships, magandang halimbawa po ito upang makapagpatuloy ang mga bata na mag-aral sa kolehiyo. subalit sa pagkakaalam ko, maraming dapat ikonsidera, tulad nga po ng GA (general average) ng bata, income ng mga magulang (ex. aplikasyon sa DOST scholarship), at higit sa lahat ay yun pong criteria ng mga nagbibigay ng scholarship katulad ng SM Foundation (meron po silang piling paaralan na cover ng kanilang scholarships) na kalimitay hindi mameet ng bata o ng mga magulang. may mga pamantasan din na nag-bibigay ng skolarship sa mga bata, subalit bago po sila makaavail sa nasabing scholarsip eh kailangan muna nilang pumasa sa entrance test at pagkatapos ay mameet yung criteria para sa nasabing scholarship.

sana po ay may naisheyr po ako kahit papaano.
Jerome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pagbati!

Napakaganda po ng inyong mga pinag-uusapan at ito ay nauukol lahat ay sa kagalingan ng mga bata partikular sa Edukasyon at Kalusugan.

Napaka-swerte po ng mga bata sa bayan ng Paete dahil sa napakarami ng tumutulong na pribadong tao, samahan at opisyal ng pamahalaan. Okey lang na magkakaiba ang layunin at hakbangin basta nakikinabang ang mga bata (Children First). Saludo po ako sa lahat.

Pero ang sabi nga kilangan natin na magkatulungan pa para sa mas maraming bata. Hindi lamang pamahalaan ang pangunahing tutulong kundi samasama tayong lahat as a Duty Bearer.

Base sa UN CRC ang pangunahin ay best interest ng Bata, ito po ay nangyayari sa ating bayan base sa mga ating mga nakikita, talakayan at mga pinag-uusapan. Gaya ng scholarship progran, feeding, free school supplies, vaccination at employment opportunities ng mga magulang.

Baka kilangan po na bumuo dito sa Paete ng Local Council for the protection and welfare of children, tulad po sa Davao, bumuo sila ng isang COUNCIL para pagtuunan lahat ng may usapin sa kagalinga at Pag-unlad ng mga bata at kabataa, kasama na ang proteksyon, kaya sila ay napili na "CHILD FRIENDLY CITY" sa buong Pilipinas" sa dami ng mga tumutulong hindi malayo na tayo ay maging katulad din nila.

Sa totoo po marami na po na ginagawa ang Paete para sa mga bata at pamilya na hindi alam ng ating mga kababayan tulad ng mga sususunod; regular na bakuna ng bata sa health center, regular na check up ng buntis sa health center, educational assistance program sa basic education galing sa ibat-ibang samahan, pribado, pang simbahan at pangpamahalaan,

Baka po ito ay sagot doon sa sinasabi na magmonitor, evaluate, propose ng plans, implement ng plans para sa preparation ng ating mga students after high school (College/ Vocational, Laderize education).

Sa atin po na mga kababayan sa ibang bansa, sila rin ay alam ang ganitong framework yung mga sinasabing "State council for the protection and welfare and development of children".

Baka tayo dito sa Paete ang Local Council for the Protection, welfare and development of children (LPCP/BCPC) na composed of different agencies and organization (DeEd, DILG, DSWD, Health and other organization).

Legal na pundasyon/Basehan:
The ratification of CRC by the Philippine government in 1990 has made it imperative for all sectors of our society to translate the standards and provisions into concrete actions that will lead to the fulfillment of Filipino children’s rights to SURVIVAL, DEVELOPMENT, PROTECTION, and PARTICIPATION

Article 87 of Presidential Decree No. 603
DILG Memorandum Circular No. 2008-126
Section 15 of Republic Act No. 9344 or the Juvenile Justice and Welfare Act of 2006

Baka sakali pong makatulong itong nabanggit ko, kung kayo ay mag-uusap para sa kagalingan ng mga mag-aaral at kabuuan pag-unalad ng bata. (Scholarship or educational assistance, health and sanitation and enviromental protection and participation)

Thanks po.

Jerome Palmero
Reg. Social Worker
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Batang Paete All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum