PAETE.ORG FORUMS
Paetenians Home on the Net

HOME | ABOUT PAETE | USAP PAETE MUNISIPYO  | MEMBERS ONLY  | PICTORIAL PAETE | SINING PAETE  | LINKS  |

FORUM GUIDELINES
please read before posting

USAP PAETE Forum Index USAP PAETE
Discussion Forums for the people of Paete, Laguna, Philippines

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Family Genealogy Versus Family History

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Inspirational and Spiritual
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SNavarro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Family Genealogy Versus Family History Reply with quote

This is just my opinion. Some people will agree, some will disagree but this is what Usap Paete is all about, expressing one’s opinion for the betterment of the Forum, of fellow Paetenians and of Paete.
For me, the Family Tree topic is just that, family trees of Paetenians, nothing more, nothing less. What bothered me and maybe some Paetenians too is the inclusion of some tidbits about some past family’s unfortunate history that to me need not be a part of a Family Tree in our Forum.

I appreciate what the Family Tree researchers are doing. It is a time-consuming work and members immensely benefit from what they have done. I have nothing against them. I fully appreciate them but maybe we should be a little bit cautious and a little more sensitve about what we write or include in a Family Tree.

A couple of examples that I like to point out.

1. What happened in the 1950s perpetuated by Hukbalahaps should have been excluded in one Family Tree which was published a few days ago. It brings back some very sad memories. It is very possible that the living members of the family do not want to be reminded of it. People like to forget unhappy events.

2. I believe I have read an example of a family tree that included the phrase about a certain woman being “naanakan” or “anak sa labas.” This might be
a family secret, even close relatives might not know about it, therefore it could create some unfortunate situations and embarrassment.

In the past we decided not to use “pamagat” to avoid unsavory, ridiculous, undeserved and hateful aliases. Most members agreed to this gesture. “Pamagat” is sometimes useful especially in family genealogy, their inclusion is helpful yet one has to use it with caution.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not trying to stop our researchers from doing their voluntary work and I am not trying to discredit them. I salute them for their effort but what do you think?

S. (Pong) Navarro
rey bagalso, guestrider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concurred and 110% agree, but since it is already in the open. Its done. I also agree that the intention is no malice toward none. He just reported it the way he saw it. Adjustment is always done if requested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Inspirational and Spiritual All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum