PAETE.ORG FORUMS
Paetenians Home on the Net

HOME | ABOUT PAETE | USAP PAETE MUNISIPYO  | MEMBERS ONLY  | PICTORIAL PAETE | SINING PAETE  | LINKS  |

FORUM GUIDELINES
please read before posting

USAP PAETE Forum Index USAP PAETE
Discussion Forums for the people of Paete, Laguna, Philippines

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Personal Letter of Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Tulong Paete
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aileenp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Personal Letter of Thanks Reply with quote

Very Happy "I wanted to include this thankyou page on this website to show my gratitude to so many wonderful people. Out of the goodness of their hearts these people have and continue to donate time, talents, money and organizing/taking part in fund raising events to help us and their other kababayans"

I am Aileen Mendoza Padallan a Grade 2 school teacher in Paete Elementary School. As one of the recipient of your scholarship grant, I just wanna express my heartfelt thanks! There are so many people to thank that I hope you understand I cannot verbally thank you all personally and there are many, many people I don't even know,but most especially to Mr. Virgil Madrinan. My family and I have been overwhelmed and so touched by the way that you have all been so generous.

When I was young and growing up, I was reading a book and at the end I realize that time it was a song that I am reading! I am not familiar with this song, and it goes:

"You give a little love and it all comes back to you, you know your gonna be remembered for the things that you say and do"

At the time I didn't really think about the words to that song but now, I find them quite appropriate. Love is what YOU have all shown and you are going to be remembered for it.

Again Thank You Very Much and Have A Blessed New Year to All!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
vermad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Personal Letter of Thanks Reply with quote

aileenp wrote:
As one of the recipients of your scholarship grant, I just wanna express my heartfelt thanks! ... My family and I have been overwhelmed and so touched by the way that you have all been so generous.

Aileen, you are more than welcome. There is a little story behind the money that the three awardees will receive. I will tell it after the Award Ceremony is over. Enjoy it and best wishes to you and your family for a Blessed New Year. All the best in your studies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aileenp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Can't Wait To Hear Reply with quote

Sir Virgil, it's been a long time! Well, thank you very much for the reply! I am always here in Usap Paete checking new messages and you know what? I can't wait to hear the story behind the Scholarship Grant that we received from you! I understand that you're so busy but if you have time, Please, I wanna hear it from you! Thanks again and sorry for being curious!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
vermad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't Wait To Hear Reply with quote

aileenp wrote:
I can't wait to hear the story behind the Scholarship Grant that we received from you! I understand that you're so busy but if you have time, Please, I wanna hear it from you! Thanks again and sorry for being curious!

Hello Aileen!

So, you want to hear the story? Here is the story. First, I wish to put you at ease. You might be happy to know that I like curious people! Wink

Sometime ago, I met in our mailing list a kababayan who is a religious Brother. If I remember correctly, he belongs to the Adires clan. I have not seen him online lately, so I have forgotten his name.

In our exchange, we came to the topic of Sacred Scriptures and the subject of translation. I don’t remember now how we came to that. Then this kababayan mentioned that the Pastoral Bible Foundation in Diliman, Quezon City needed some people who could translate the Gospel commentaries from Spanish to English.

I volunteered thinking that it was purely a volunteer job. He referred me to a certain Claretian priest who is in charge of the Bible Foundation. He is from Argentina but works in the Philippines. This priest asked me to do a sample translation, which he sent me via email. I did the translation, sent it back and he liked it. He wrote me: “You are in!”

He hired me to be a translator and to my surprise, he told me how much he was willing to pay me. So, I started doing the translation mostly on weekends when I have more time. I sent him the work piecemeal - a page or two every weekend.

Then, the priest wanted to meet me. So, one time he emailed me and invited me to visit him in Quezon City. He was surprised to know when I told him I live in the U.S. All the while he thought I lived in Paete. I thought that was funny. Laughing Now, he was apologetic explaining that he might not be able to pay me the per/hour rate according to American labor standards. Crying or Very sad I said that was ok with me since I was even willing to do it for free. Wink This corroborated the idea and feasiblity of doing work and earning a living through the Internet. Mine is just a minute sample.

I finished the Commentary on the Gospel of St. Matthew just before Christmas. And he told me how much I have earned. And I thought to myself this would be a handsome gift to fellow teachers who are pursuing graduate studies.

I asked the Mayor for names of teachers taking graduate studies who in turn delegated the search to Mhey Bagalso. She came up with three names in less than two days.

About the same time, the Essay Contest was nearing its completion. Ma'am Lily requested to have the Award ceremony for the winners of the Essay Contest just before the Christmas break. Since, that was not feasible timewise, I requested the Mayor to have it as part of the Rizal Day celebration to add some solemnity to it. And since the Scholarship money was also available then, I requested that it be part of the ceremony also. He was so accommodating and gracious about the whole thing. I asked him if it would look too pompous and he reassured me no. Who am I to oppose the Mayor's opinion? Wink

I already knew even then what to do with the money. And I said to myself it wouldn’t be difficult either to find some good use for it. I thought of Scholarship Grants. Here, enters Aileen P. Wink

I am a Latin teacher at Ridgewood High School in Ridgewood New Jersey, a very affluent community in North Jersey. Just to give you an idea what kind of a high school this is, the Board of Ed’s budget per student is about $10,500 per/annum. This is only a high school! mind you. I can't help but compare what these kids have, and what our children in Paete have.

Just some infos about the State where I live. I see it on billboards on roads that New Jersey is Number 1 in graduation rate in the whole United States. I don't know exactly what it wants to tell us and the rest of the country. But, it sure sounds good! Wink This is the State where the likes of Albert Einstein and Thomas Alva Edison lived, taught and died. Einstein taught at Princeton University. Edison lived in Menlo Park, New Jersey. I have seen the original light bulbs, phonographs and a few others of his inventions, things we take for granted today.

Like you, I am still taking some courses to finish my Masters in Classics [Latin and Greek]. I love languages. I am a polyglot.

Now back to business. Currently, I am doing the translation of the Commentary on the Gospel according to St. John in my spare time. I just started it last weekend and have sent already the Introduction. I have some more money coming this way and guess where that money will go.

So, you can see there is a story behind it and a few other people to thank too: Mayor Cadayona, Mhey Bagalso and Nenett Bagalso who handles my business in Paete.

End of the story!

P.S. I hope you like the story. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by vermad on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
emmac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an amazing story that was, Kang Ver! I admire people like you...you're like the man God has given a "talent", and was appreciated when he gave it back plus double the money to Him, so He entrusted more talents to him...you're very kind to give your surplus money to people who are in need like Aileen, thus, giving her more opportunities to hand down her knowledge to our young people.
God will bless you more.
Praise God!!
vermad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmac wrote:
money to people who are in need like ....., thus, giving her more opportunities to hand down her knowledge to our young people. God will bless you more. Praise God!!

Emma: I try to help any which little way I can. I am aware that teachers in the Philippines are underpaid, not so much for lack of appreciation but for lack of funds to pay them. Where will the funds come from when there is so much poverty around? I earned that money in the PI and it makes no sense to have it remitted to the US. I thought it could do more good over there than here. It was a little sacrifice of my time, but I didn't feel it because I did it little by little, like an "alkansiya."

I understand your husband is a son of Amang Genio Caguin, brother to my friend and classmate Cesar. Tell me about your migration to Australia. I saw your folk in December 2004. Good to see Inang Ilang, Rene, Raquel and the rest of the clan. I also saw Inang Tering. I hope to meet you and your family in person one day. Keep me posted and I wish you a happy trip to the Philippines in March. Take a lot of pictures and post them. Wink

emmac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on this, kailangan nila ng tulong to survive. Being a teacher is a noble task, but there should be dignity by giving them enough salary...but with so much poverty around, this won't be possible without help from generous people like you..sana dumami pa ang mga katulad nyo.
Yes my husband is Hector(Tok to close friends & family) kapatid ni Cesar.
We migrated to Australia in 1989 with our 4 children, maliliit pa sila, then. Ngayon ay mga dalaga't binata na ages from 18-25. Yong panganay ko ay nasa Singapore, don siya nagtatrabaho in an Eye hospital since July 2005.
Malaking bagay kina Ina nong mabisita nyo noong Dec 2004. Uuwi din sana kami kung di lamang nagkasakit yong bunso ko. Anyway, he's doing alright now with God's mercy and grace.
Thank you for your wish, we'll see if I could post photos, malaking challenge sa akin dahil hindi pa ako naka ka try, I don't know if our software here could do that.
All the best!
aileenp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: nice to hear that story! Reply with quote

Again sorry for my being curious and in replying so late! During the time that I ask you that question I was really about to leave the Philippines! But not for good Sir! I`ll gonna stay here in Japan till April. My leave in school started last January 16 and arrived last January 20. I was invited by my Aunt to go here, to learn more and experience many things not to mention those that can help me in my profession. My M.A. this semester is "modular" so I brought my modules here. Nice to hear that heart-warming story Sir Virgil. I hope you`ll serve as an example to every Paetenians abroad. And I hope someday I can do my very best, in any form or in any little way to help and serve our kababayans...just like you!
God Bless You!
vermad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: nice to hear that story! Reply with quote

aileenp wrote:
Sir! I`ll gonna stay here in Japan till April... I was invited by my Aunt to go here, to learn more and experience many things not to mention those that can help me in my profession. My M.A. this semester is "modular" so I brought my modules here...And I hope someday I can ...help and serve our kababayans...!

Aileen: Konichiwa! I am happy to know you are in Japan. Going outside one's country is a very educational experience. You see the good things other countries have that we don't and you start asking why we can't or don't have those things.

You also see our problems from a distance and you get a better perspective. Even in our little ways, we can apply in our classrooms the good things we learn from travel.

I have no doubt you will do well in your graduate studies. It is certainly a noble thought to think of being able to help and serve our kababayans eventually. I think that by being an excellent teacher you will be able to fulfill your dream because you will be in a position of influence. But, first you must put yourself in a position to help.

We are in the middle of the Mid Term exams. I just finished giving mine today. Two more days are left, but I only have to proctor. The 2nd Marking Period [that's how we call it here] ends this Friday, Jan. 27. I use all the time I have to straighten my records i.e. grades. I agonize always when it is grading time.

I hope you will share your experiences in Japan. I have two Japanese American students. I don't know if they speak Japanese though.

Sayonara!

aileenp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: My Experience in Japan Reply with quote

Hajime maste! Sir, thanks again for the reply! Don`t worry coz I`ll follow your advice! There are so many experiences here that I wanna tell you since the day I arrived but it seems that this page is not enough for my stories! I`m discovering new things and changing my lifestyle day by day. I experienced seeing "yuki" (snow) on my second day! (seems corny but it was really my first time!) And it is very cold here! I have to wear a shirt, a jacket and a windbreaker. I only used to eat some Japanese foods when I was in Assumption College,Makati but here I always eat it everyday! Domo Arigato Gozaimasu! I am currently staying here in Ibaraki Ken town of Amimachi and it`s near Tokyo! I am living in a town but whew! I can already compare it to a city in the Philippines! There are 3 grade school here, 2 junior highschool, 2 senior highschool 1 university and 1 medical school! And I am really amazed on their education system! I have a cousin in junior highschool and one in senior high! We fetch them everyday so I am always observing their school and it`s facilities! One thing I observed is that most of them are really having a hard time to speak in English eventhough some of them have English subject! Nihonjin Eigo ga Wakarimasen! Am I good now in Japanese language? More stories to wait, more experiences to come! Odaijini! God Bless! Sayonara!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Tulong Paete All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum