PAETE.ORG FORUMS
Paetenians Home on the Net

HOME | ABOUT PAETE | USAP PAETE MUNISIPYO  | MEMBERS ONLY  | PICTORIAL PAETE | SINING PAETE  | LINKS  |

FORUM GUIDELINES
please read before posting

USAP PAETE Forum Index USAP PAETE
Discussion Forums for the people of Paete, Laguna, Philippines

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lupe Sa Pakil

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Usap Paete
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SNavarro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Lupe Sa Pakil Reply with quote

Is it possible that “Lupe” and “Turumba” in Pakil were based from traditions celebrated during the Roman times, even before the birth of Christ?

A few months ago, someone asked about “Lupe Sa Pakil”. My own readings led me to believe that “lupe” was derived from an old Roman tradition called “Lupercalia.” This tradition might have been brought to the Philippines by the Spaniards who at one time were under the Romans during Julius Caesar’s time.
I found a few more hints of some possible similarities. Here is what one author says:

“On February 14, 44 BC Rome celebrated the Lupercalia, an ancient festival whose main associations were with fertility. As part of the rituals, the Lupercal priests, naked save for loinscloths made of hide, ran through the streets, flicking passers-by with goatskin whips. It was considered lucky to be touched in this way, especially women hoping to conceive or for those already pregnant who hoped to have an easy and successful delivery. The thirty-nine-year-old consul (Mark) Antony was the leader of these runners, since he was the head of the Julian college of priests. Caesar watched, clad in his wreath, the purple robe of a triumphant general....” This happened about a month away from the Ides of March.

From “Caesar, Life Of A Colussus”, Adrian Goldsworthy, 2006, page 499

The Wikipedia says that some authors believe that Pope Gelasius I, 456-494 AD changed Lupercalia to the Feast of the Purification of the Virgin Mary which I think has something to do with “Turumba.” As far as I can remember according to the elders, “Turumba” was attended by couples who wanted to start a family and their songs, accompanied by dancing, praised the Virgin Mary and sought her help. Check out in Wikipedia encyclopedia, the terms “lupercalia” and “lupercal”.

Does someone still remember when “Lupe” and “Turumba” in Pakil are celebrated? February? Are these tradiitons still being celebrated? What transpires during those celebrations? I also wondered why Pakil became the “Lupe” and “Turumba” town?

My two cents, which I am glad to share.
S. (Pong) C. Navarro
noli c. valdellon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Turumba Celebration Reply with quote

I think Obando, Bulacan's Feast for Santa Clara is almost related to Pakil's Turumba. They, too, are asking for marital bliss and children by singing and dancing on the street.
SNavarro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For more information about Turumba and Lupi in Pakil, try "Lady of Turumba" in Wikipedia encyclopedia for a different take on the subjects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Usap Paete All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum