PAETE.ORG FORUMS
Paetenians Home on the Net

HOME | ABOUT PAETE | USAP PAETE MUNISIPYO  | MEMBERS ONLY  | PICTORIAL PAETE | SINING PAETE  | LINKS  |

FORUM GUIDELINES
please read before posting

USAP PAETE Forum Index USAP PAETE
Discussion Forums for the people of Paete, Laguna, Philippines

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National Achievement Test Scores (Paete Elementary Schools)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Usap Paete
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: National Achievement Test Scores (Paete Elementary Schools) Reply with quote

Numbers in parenthesis are last year's results:

Paete Central Elementary School:

English: 67.48 (68.53)
Science: 51.01 (55.01)
Math: 59.51 (65.15)
Filipino: 65.14 (65.75)
Hekasi: 65.90 (69.71)

Quinale Elementary School:

English: 62.02 (64.81)
Science: 65.7 (67.7)
Math: 75.14 (79.37)
Filipino: 68.81 (79.37)
Hekasi: 72.3 (77.69)

Ibaba Elementary School:

English: 46.66 (75.29)
Science: 37.84 (47.06)
Math: 45.13 (67.25)
Filipino: 51.40 (67.25)
Hekasi: 46.11 (83.14)

Papatahan:

English: 68.85 (59.50)
Science: 55.96 (63)
Math: 53.46 (76)
Filipino: 63.27 (76)
Hekasi: 47.50 (73)

Tubog:

English: 70 (70)
Science: 65 (50)
Math: 42.5 (75)
Filipino: 35 (75)
Hekasi: 57.50(77.50)

The numbers are down across the board. The scores from IES continue to go down. (The above data were kindly provided by Mayor Ka Noel)

From an article in Manila Times:

"57% of grade 6 pupils fail—NAT results

By Jonathan M. Hicap Reporter

Despite improvements in their ratings in math, science and English,
more than half or 57.36 percent of grade 6 students in public schools failed to make the passing grade of 75 percent in the National Achievement Test (NAT)."

Of the above scores this year, there is only one that is above 75
(passing score) and it is in the math test taken by Quinale students.
ccdimacali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: What is the problem? Reply with quote

Angel,

Thank you for posting the results. What do you think is the problem and what can be done to correct it?

I don't know to whom to address this question but I'll ask it anyway. If these kids fail the NAT are they able to proceed to High School? Or, would their elementary school even allow them to graduate?

ccd
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: What is the problem? Reply with quote

ccdimacali wrote:
Angel,

Thank you for posting the results. What do you think is the problem and what can be done to correct it?

I don't know to whom to address this question but I'll ask it anyway. If these kids fail the NAT are they able to proceed to High School? Or, would their elementary school even allow them to graduate?

ccd

Cedric:

First, it is important to take a pause and consider how much we could really get out from this statistics.

I am assuming that these are simple averages of the test scores. Second, these scores correspond only to last year's Grade VI classes - they do not contain information for the entire school. Third, differences in scores between years and between the schools need to be tampered by an awareness of how significant these numbers really are. If PES scores 67 this year and 68 last year, does this difference really mean something, or is it just noise in the data.

The problem with having just the mean scores (and no additional information) is that we do not have the distribution. For example, let's say we have ten students, nine scored 80 and one scored 0. This would give us an average of 72, and having just the mean without the distribution can lead to the wrong conclusion that the class failed the exam, when in fact, only one failed and nine passed. So we do need to keep this in mind, before making a conclusion. I think when the average is between 50 and 80, the distribution is important to draw a conclusion since in this range, outliers can easily influence the mean. However, scores above 80 and those below 50, generally will provide an adequate overall picture without knowledge of the distribution of scores.

With the above in mind, it becomes clear that the scores that should be of concern are those of Ibaba Elementary School. The drop in their scores across the board are statistically significant. The averages are low so these numbers do reflect the entire Grade VI class of Ibaba.

Now that there is a reason to be concerned. What should be done? There are a myriad of factors affecting education. So I would not be able to pinpoint one particular reason. However, scores that are as low as what we are seeing, for me, are symptoms of a lack of focus and priority. Perhaps, there is too much distraction that students and teachers are not able to attend to what they are supposed to be doing. So I would suggest a return to our priorities - less extracurricular and more time on the basic subjects.

The NAT, as far as I know, is a gauging tool of the DepEd. I do not think it is used for graduation purposes.
ccdimacali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: What are the scores for? Reply with quote

Angel,

You wrote: “The problem with having just the mean scores (and no additional information) is that we do not have the distribution. For example, let's say we have ten students, nine scored 80 and one scored 0. This would give us an average of 72,”…” the distribution is important to draw a conclusion since in this range, outliers can easily influence the mean.”

I believe people who read your post will “AS$-U-ME” the data reflects the true picture of the population (normal curve). Reading your post I made an impression that our elementary schools in Paete are not doing well. There is danger posting statistics without knowing the distribution pattern. I suspect the source of this statistics will have the median and mode of the scores. Did he post it? What were his conclusions? If the average, median, and mode are so close to each other we can then draw inference that there is normal distribution. Statistics is a very powerful tool but when presented it needs to able to provide evidence (Ho:H1) of something. In this case are we OK or Not OK. If OK, do we want to improve it? If Not OK, what can we do about it?

Is it also possible for nine to score 68.89 and one scored 100? This will give as a close average of 72. If there is a low outlier can there be also a high outlier? You are right we need to determine the distribution of the curve. Shouldn’t we wait for this information before posting our statistics?

You also wrote: “However, scores above 80 and those below 50, generally will provide an adequate overall picture without knowledge of the distribution of scores.”

Since the scores you posted mostly reflect between 50 – 80 percent which requires knowledge of distribution which we don’t know, what is the purpose posting these scores?

ccd
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the scores for? Reply with quote

ccdimacali wrote:
Angel,

You wrote: “The problem with having just the mean scores (and no additional information) is that we do not have the distribution. For example, let's say we have ten students, nine scored 80 and one scored 0. This would give us an average of 72,”…” the distribution is important to draw a conclusion since in this range, outliers can easily influence the mean.”

I believe people who read your post will “AS$-U-ME” the data reflects the true picture of the population (normal curve). Reading your post I made an impression that our elementary schools in Paete are not doing well. There is danger posting statistics without knowing the distribution pattern. I suspect the source of this statistics will have the median and mode of the scores. Did he post it? What were his conclusions? If the average, median, and mode are so close to each other we can then draw inference that there is normal distribution. Statistics is a very powerful tool but when presented it needs to able to provide evidence (Ho:H1) of something. In this case are we OK or Not OK. If OK, do we want to improve it? If Not OK, what can we do about it?

That is why I drew guarded conclusions. These are the only data points that I have. Posting the results of the exam provide us with a way we can assess our current educational status. Yes, we need to be careful when we draw conclusions and that is why I did not draw too much in my original posting and clarified later on what these numbers may mean.

This posting is likewise a follow-up to last year's discussion:

http://paete.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3407

And to provide a longer year-to-year assessment, here is an example from Quinale:

http://qes.paete.org/qes_files/QESassesment.htm

Here is from Central:

http://pes.paete.org/pes_files.....esults.htm

Here is from Ibaba:

http://ies.paete.org/assessment_results.htm

As you could see, last year was a great year for the schools in Paete. The improvement was remarkable and all the schools improved significantly. This year's statistics is different. And posting the data simply provides those who are interested in the current status of the schools in Paete assessment results so we could follow the progress or regress of the schools.

ccdimacali wrote:

Is it also possible for nine to score 68.89 and one scored 100? This will give as a close average of 72. If there is a low outlier can there be also a high outlier? You are right we need to determine the distribution of the curve. Shouldn’t we wait for this information before posting our statistics?

You also wrote: “However, scores above 80 and those below 50, generally will provide an adequate overall picture without knowledge of the distribution of scores.”

Since the scores you posted mostly reflect between 50 – 80 percent which requires knowledge of distribution which we don’t know, what is the purpose posting these scores?

ccd

If you look at the scores of Ibaba, these numbers are outside the range so in this case, some conclusions could be drawn.
ccdimacali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Value added? Reply with quote

Angel,

If conclusions can be drawn about a particular set of scores based on your acceptable confidence level then I would suggest posting only those scores. Let’s not post those scores which can not be conclusively inferred. If we can only make educated conclusion about Ibaba then post Ibaba scores only. What is the value added posting statistics if it can not be defended or explained?

ccd
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Usap Paete All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum