PAETE.ORG FORUMS
Paetenians Home on the Net

HOME | ABOUT PAETE | USAP PAETE MUNISIPYO  | MEMBERS ONLY  | PICTORIAL PAETE | SINING PAETE  | LINKS  |

FORUM GUIDELINES
please read before posting

USAP PAETE Forum Index USAP PAETE
Discussion Forums for the people of Paete, Laguna, Philippines

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MEMORABILIA: What our readers say...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Usap Paete
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredmc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Memorabilia Book Review-by Marie Cagahastian Castillo-Pruden Reply with quote

A very thorough and Comprehensive review of the Paete Memorabilia book from a professional journalist point of view. Read all about it at:

http://paete.org/forums/viewto.....6094#16094
Dan Dalan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Paete Memorabilia Book Comment Reply with quote

Hi Fred,

Comprehensive, excellent, cherish, emotional, catarrhtic, maudlin, optimistic, realistic, endeavor are just a few words right now in reflection. I wish I can post it in Tagalog/Paetenian, and even Latin Ver, but it will take some time and research.

Don't want to make this too long, but we all look for something about ourselves and roots, and that is good, correct, and expected. It's just a privilege to be able to do that, before Paete.com, and this book; there were very few opportunities, so truly we are bonded together here as a community, and for a lot of us by blood/DNA.

Speaking of which is why I read here on a regular basis, even though we are separated by age, time, space, and family, somehow we are close and relate for the most part.

I am thrilled to discover, on a regular basis, family and friends, I and my family interacted in the past, and hope to do in the future. For example, we were just regular visitors to Paete as children, but are rooted in the Cadang, Pascual side through Dada Angge & Nena. Although not native, Dada Buena; Dada Teo, Mateo Pang Bayo was listed in the book as a surviving prisoner of war in Tarlac. Wow, did not know that.

Not said in judgment, but when I posted this to my younger cousins, nieces, nephew, and even contemporaries, I only got two acknowledgements of pride and response. That is why we need this Paete Book and web site to archive, remember, and read ourselves and future generations, and not be lost in time.

One of my suggestions, is to store, other information that did not make it to the book, because space/storage electronically, our web site, or elsewhere are logical, cost effective means of archiving, for future review, research, or projects. We have a lot of talent here, as Rey calls them web carvers; I am currently transferring Dr. Quesada's book on Paete electronically, and a lot can be done with this and any other relevant items or work of art, or... the list can go on...music, books, and photo galleries like we have now, family trees,...

So Fred you and your staff have created a lot of positive emotions, outlook, and I endeavor to follow up on this book because of this event and availability.

Dan Dalan
rossnav

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Paete Memorabilia Reply with quote

Ka Fred,

Salamat sa inyong lahat na nag abala para mabuo at maisakatuparan ang hangad ninyong makapag bigay ng isang mahalagang alaala sa ating bayan ng Paete at sa ating mga kababayan.

Ang librong ito ay naging focus ng attention ng mga taong bumibisita sa aming tahanan dahil inilagay namin ito sa aming center table sa sala, kasama ng aming photo album at daily newspaper.

Sa ganda ng cover nito ay una itong napapansin at binubuklat kaagad upang basahin ng sinumang makakita at kalimitan ay nahihiram ng ilang araw para tapusing basahin. Nagugulat ako sa mga comments nila dahil sa dami na ng nakaka alam ng bayan natin ay napakarami pa raw pala nating ibang dapat ipagmalaki.
Ang sarap pakinggan ng mga paghangang salita mula sa mga nakakita at nakabasa nito,na kahit alam nating marami pang inpormasiyon na di naisama ay ito ang magiging simula para mailathala sa susunod na memorabilia. Ito rin ang naging pintuan ng iba naming kaibigan na di nakakakilala at nakaka alam tungkol sa bayan natin at ang kanilang interest na bumisita at makita ang katangitanging ganda ng Paete.

Mabuhay ang Paete at umaasa ako sa mga susunod pang kabanata ng memorabilia, salamat po.

Ross Navarro
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Canada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Memorabilia Reply with quote

vermad wrote:
I just realized that the cover of the book has two words and one number. To my delight and satisfaction, I am very happy to know that 50% of the words is Latin.

Ver,

Fifty percent doesn't hurt, but try "upping" it to 100%?:
Paete, non dolet!

Quote:
Wink It is a simple word that speaks volumes about the town.

I'm guessing, "memorabilia."

Quote:
Liber scriptus proferetur in quo quasi totum continetur!

Your Franciscan (Celano) roots are showing. Laughing

Quote:
Opus vere magnum et memorabile!

The masterpiece (the book) is truly great and memorable.
vermad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Hello Classicist Guest Reply with quote

I did not think anybody would notice. Wink Quis es tu? Revela te ipsum! Who is this guy Paetus? Was somebody addressing him [vocative] and another thought that he heard "Paete?" Paetus, it does not hurt! You are very observant. Wink I wish you would end the masquerade. Wink Wink Wink

Last edited by vermad on Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marie Pruden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax, Ver, it's just me. Smile

Sorry to have spooken you Crying or Very sad I didn't realize I had logged on as "Guest."

I know, I know - "Paetus" is a proper noun, so it can't possibly be classified as a regular Latin word. Still I couldn't resist. Laughing Laughing Laughing

No masquerade there. It's from Pliny the Younger.

Paete, non dolet.
It doesn't hurt, Paetus.
(According to Plinius's, Epistulae, they are the Roman woman Arria's words to her husband Caecina Paetus, who had taken part in an uprising against Emperor Claudius and been sentenced to commit suicide. When her husband hesitated, she plunged the dagger into her own chest and then gave it to him with these words.)

How morbid. A more pleasant application was Swinburne's Victorian-era sonnet "'Non Dolet'" using the example of Roman heroism but applying it to Italy of the Risorgimento. The sestet applies this classical example to Italy with Britain as her lover:

It does not hurt, Italia. Thou art more
Than bride to bridegroom; how shalt thou not take
The gift love's blood has reddened for thy sake?
Was not thy lifeblood given for us before?
And if love's heartblood can avail thy need,
And thou not die, how should it hurt indeed?

As Miles would have said, "Bloody 'ell - it's all poppy-cock and balderdash!

Merry Christmas to you, Minda, and the kids. Smile

Pax et bonum,
Marie
lorenzo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: .. all in the name of honoring "Paete"! Reply with quote

From over two scores back, .. my own rusty but fond-ful reminiscing Latin tinkering as we might characterize this moment’s historical elevating of Paete, its people, its ways....
“Taciti, aptent torquent littora ad classem sociosque” Paetus; ut multitudinis delectent cum laude et verbo, tamquam adpropinquaret veritate. (Forgive my adaptation of Virgil.)
Renato C Valdellon
lorenzo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: re: my adopted & re-configured Virgil's verse Reply with quote

What I make out of my presented Latin verse:
“Taciti, aptent torquent littora ad classem sociosque” Paetus; ut multitudinis delectent cum laude et verbo, tamquam adpropinquaret veritate.
A quiet people, they bend and make across shores as befitting their elite members, and a good number of their people of Paete; that it brings the multitude pleasure their praise and word tribute that are close as could be to their true enterprising.

(A little far-fetched, but some figurative commending about .. Paete.)
Renato C Valdellon
tritons

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Latin at Misa Cantada Reply with quote

Hello Brod Renato,

Speaking of reminiscing..... Smile I still remember deep in
my memories those opening latin words during our days of Knights
of the Altar.... Very Happy
Addeum quei letificat uventutem meam, quia tu is Deus

fortitudu mia.....where I remember in translation as " I confess to

Almighty God and to you my brothers and sisters that I have sinned

thru my own fault in my words...etc."

Paki-correct na lang yun latin words..LOL! Laughing

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

tony dalagan
Flora N. Filoteo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: My comments on the Memorabilia - Flora N. Filoteo Reply with quote

Dear Fred and Cora,

The Paete Memorabilia arrived today. It's indeed a treasure! Everyone should be very proud to possess it. I admired it immensely. My, what labor of love can create! Saludo ako, dalawang kamay.

I have gone from cover to cover, I'm thankful for the little contributions I was able to make. Salamat at ginawa mong marapat yong mga articles sa MQN. I am so happy to see "Epic of Matanglawin. " And our family pictures! Thank you very much.

...Everything in the Memorabilia is excellent: Content, organization, art work and make-up.Excellent! Excellent! Saludo!

Flora N.Filoteo -
Pres. Matanglawin Club and Editor-Matanglawin Quarterly Newsette
lorenzo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Tony,.... from Raul Roque's book, Altar Boys' Mass Prayers Reply with quote

Hello Antonio,
Heto yung major parts ng Ad Deum at Confiteor na mini-memorize natin noon.

“In nomine Patris, et Filii et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.
Introibo ad Altare Dei.”
The Knights and the Royal Masters used to answer:
“Ad Deum qui laetificat juventutem meam.”
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
I will go up to the altar of God.
To God, who gives joy to my youth.
Sa ngalan ng Ama at ng Anak at ng Espiritu Santo. Amen.
Ako ay aakyat sa dambana ng Diyos.
Sa Diyos na nagbibigay ng kagiliwan sa aking kabataan.

Confiteor Deo Omnipotenti, ............et tibi, Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa........
I confess to Almighty God to .........and to you, Father, that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word and deed: through my fault, through my fault through my most grievous fault.

Tinanggal ko na yung iba pang parte.

Kumusta, Antonio? Nagkaka-kontakan baga kayo ni Arthur? I am sure he would be excited to see you. Pag-uwi mo, how about dumalaw ka sa kanila? Madali lamang alamin ang bahay niya sa Marikina. And he will gladly pick you up. And I hope someday magkaka-meet tayo dito sa Paetenians.
Bro. Renato
lorenzo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: another useful re-configuration on Virgil's Reply with quote

Borrowing, changing and using a portion of this Virgil’s verse, the following is a more convenient word change much more applicable to the Paete commendation:
“Taciti, aptent torquent litteras ad classem sociosque” Paetus; ut multitudinis delectent cum laude et verbo, tamquam adpropinquaret veritate.
A modest people, placing at a pedestal them their elite members and people at large and heaping them words of tribute; that it pleases the great many their word and praise even as they attempt doing so in all truthfulness.
Renato C Valdellon
vermad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Latin Reply with quote

Salvete Marie and Renato!

I am so delighted to hear from you as I realized in you some love for the Latin language. Marie, I bet you were looking for the word "Paete" when you bumped into the Letters of Pliny the Younger. What a coincidence we had Pliny at school not long ago and we translated that passage where the phrase you quoted was in: Paete, non dolet! Renato, glad to know there is a Aeneid lover in our crowd. Valete! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lorenzo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Abel brighten this Latin corner even more .... Reply with quote

Truer to the Season, “Gaudete” is my preferred salutation to you, Ver.

I am not exactly versed in Aeneid. I just love to recall famous verses here and there. And I like very much Latin’s hiperbaton style where you could place the words anywhere and everywhere and produce the best rhyming of the words. Also with Latin you get to remember meaningful sayings, slogans, and laws with very minimal verbiage.

I like your by-line, “Quot capita, tot sententiae.” Allow me another manner of translation, “Great minds, wise words!”

Again, gaudete, Puer Salvator, natus est!

Renato
PS.
Abel, brighten this Latin corner of Paetenians even more; you're a Master at "it".
vermad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Latin Reply with quote

Renato:

I have my theory why Latin is so laconic and succinct. The Romans did not have much writing materials and also they had to etch writings on stone and marble, so they had to be very succinct and had to abbreviate everything to the minimum. The situation then was like the mini-skirt of today: Short enough to be interesting, long enough to cover the subject. Wink

The verb "to be" and other commonly understood and implied words are omitted in Latin like in: Sapientibus pauca. To the wise, few! One might ask: Few what? Few words. The whole dictum might be rendered as follows: To the wise few words are necessary.

I don't know if you were translating my quote. By that I mean: There are as many opinions as there are heads. Our Usap-Paete is a living proof. Thinking people do differ. I have many opinions, a multitude of them. I try to read especially discussion threads. I am just curious to see where people are coming from. Wink

Using a contemporary metaphor, our mind is just like a computer. It can hold only so many gigabytes. Nonetheless, considering the entire field of knowledge, our hard drive really holds very little.

People who claim to have the truth especially in religious matters fascinate and attract my attention. For me, most of their discourses may be classified as QEDs = Quod est demonstrandum or petitio principii or begging the question. They support a dubious statement or claim by another dubious claim or statement.

On judgment day, I have the feeling that God will appear on his judgment seat and say to the atheist, the believer and the fundamentalist: Boys, you've got it all wrong. You believer, you did not have to defend me. I can take care of myself. You fundamentalist, where on earth did you get your ideas about me? You atheist, you did not use the sight I gave you.

Let us continue the discourse. I think I should stop now for the following reason: sapientibus pauca. Give me some more of what you have in your Latin arsenal. Wink

admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: This thread is about the Memorabilia Reply with quote

This thread is about the Memorabilia

Fred wrote:

"For those who have received their copies, or have read it from somebody's copies, we would like to know your comments, whether good or bad. We need your feedback. What did you like best in the book? "

Please keep your replies within this subject. Thank you for your cooperation.
lorenzo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: only a thesis develops thru straight logical pattern, but. Reply with quote

"..only a thesis does develop through a straight logical pattern; but yes for courtesy, I promise to comply ...."

To the Administrator,
Pardon the incidental going by the byways and highways. I promise to start a new thread if I sense myself forking into an entirely new topic or direction. Nonetheless, realize how Tayangtang and the Old USAP curved through a variety of sub-threads as these swing back and forth the main and sub threads. That is what we call "language or conversational digression". Its almost un-natural to regiment how people's minds and interest work, especially a truly live and on-line inter-reaching out between people. But, yes; I intend to comply with the regimented format.
Renato C Valdellon
Marie Pruden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Latin Reply with quote

vermad wrote:
I bet you were looking for the word "Paete" when you bumped into the Letters of Pliny the Younger.

Ver,

Initially, it was Dr. Eugenio Quesada. Surprised If you remember, in his book, "Paete," Quesada researched the etymology of "Paete" on the off-chance that our town could have been named after Paetus, and not after the chisel. Confused

Which make you even more amazed at how meticulous Quesada was at getting things right. And that was eons before Google! Exclamation

Pax et bonum.
Dan Dalan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Latin Reply with quote

I got the feeling and sense of the old usap and tayangtang as I read, also. As Fred said before Marie, it is good to hear from you. To keep the site ordered, and why it changed, I agree with staying within bounds of the topic.

However, as wordsmiths here post, we all can somehow rhetorically keep it within topic. This is what Memoriabilia stirs in me, the feelings, put into words, such as the roots of our town, via religion, language, Spanish, & Latin.

Renato, you beat me to it, we were all in the same Mass this 3rd Sunday of Advent weren't we. The emphatic imperative verb: gaudeo gaudere gavisus sum, rejoice, as our priests exhalted us with their pink/rose vestments.

The cover of Memorabilia happens to be Simbang Gabi, part of the Advent season, so it again fits. It's for sure, we don't have enough Filipinos here in Fargo, but to at least re-discover, and not forget, our heritage, was one of my comments on Memorabilia, especially for the up and coming younger generations.

It sounds like we have a lot of talent and interests out there on Latin/languages. We can start another thread or forum. Professor Ver? soy estudiante, donde esta, scholasticus, doctoris, cathedrae..

How about starting out with sayings in say Spanish/Tagalog/Latin, or tie in some classic readings, & history lessons.....mas vale pajaro en mano, que cien volando. I would interpret this currently as: these threads of Memorabilia, is valued more that it is in our hands, than one hundred lost birds flying, or lost oppurtunities Smile with all due respect Angel, Rey, Nenett, or Venn; and somehow either fit it to this thread or start a new one. Aprendamos; percipio, percipere, percepi, perceptus

Dan
Simbakuni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: This thread is about the Memorabilia Reply with quote

admin wrote:
This thread is about the Memorabilia

Fred wrote:

"For those who have received their copies, or have read it from somebody's copies, we would like to know your comments, whether good or bad. We need your feedback. What did you like best in the book? "

Please keep your replies within this subject. Thank you for your cooperation.

Thanks for the reminder Pof.

No offense guys but, I think if people want to showcase their proficiency or knowlege in other languages or dialects, be it Latin, Spanish, German or Ilocano, then yes, they should start a new topic or create their own thread. Better yet, maybe they should keep it to themselves and email each other. Afterall, they are the only ones who understand the exchanges between them anyways.

cheers!
Marie Pruden

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba and Pof (?),

Ouch! Twisted Evil

The few posts in Latin were not originally set out to go off tangent. Ver at first commented that the book's title, "Paete Memorabilia 2004" had one Latin word in it. I suggested that maybe there were two, and offered an explanation.

The rest were minor thread drifts. I quite agree with Renato saying it's almost "un-natural to regiment how people's minds and interest work, especially a truly live and on-line inter-reaching out between people."

While I understand that drifts are a problem in a forum like this, there's got to be a better way to accomodate some exchange of niceties without fear of the police. Maybe Admin could have just moved them to another thread without prior notice, and then post a note that he had done so.

Minor drifts usually dissipate by themselves, especially if posted in Latin. Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi - a little pasiyensya goes a long way.

But this:

Simbakuni wrote:
Better yet, maybe they should keep it to themselves and email each other. Afterall, they are the only ones who understand the exchanges between them anyways.

is so inhospitable. And uncalled for.

What do you do after someone greets another "Kumusta?" Send them off to no-man's land when they start answering with more than the usual, "Fine, thank you?" Notice that a number of those posters are "Guests." Palalayasin mo?

But I'm only a guest myself, so I don't have any say on this. Except, don't sweat the small stuff, especially since Dr. Dan has so neatly tied up all the drifts together and put them back into context.

Merry Christmas. I'm outta here.
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Latin Reply with quote

I have made a simple request. The forum as it stands only shows the title of the first topic posted. This particular thread was made 'sticky' with the request made by Fred. The intention is to keep the comments on Paete Memorabilia in one thread and have the thread occupy a position near the top of the forum. Readers then expect that when they open this thread, they will see posts relevant to the Memorabilia.

In another thread not long ago about Ukit-Paete, the moderators of this forum received negative comments regarding their inaction on a post that was claimed to be outside the topic. The format of the forum does not make it easy for the moderators to rearrange the threads.

Seeing the following post (which is clearly off tangent):

vermad wrote:
Renato:

People who claim to have the truth especially in religious matters fascinate and attract my attention. For me, most of their discourses may be classified as QEDs = Quod est demonstrandum or petitio principii or begging the question. They support a dubious statement or claim by another dubious claim or statement.

On judgment day, I have the feeling that God will appear on his judgment seat and say to the atheist, the believer and the fundamentalist: Boys, you've got it all wrong. You believer, you did not have to defend me. I can take care of myself. You fundamentalist, where on earth did you get your ideas about me? You atheist, you did not use the sight I gave you.

I tried to preempt and prevent something similar from happening.

Again, this is but a simple request. And your cooperation and help is appreciated.

Thank you.

-Angel
Latin & Memorabilia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marie even though we sign on us guest, you especially are not a "guest." You go gal. How do you say that in Tagalog or Latin? I agree with everything that Marie has said.

My interpretation of the threads so far is that is not a show case and is appropriate to the topic. I agree Angel, with what you parsed out of Ver's posting, it "veers " away from the topic Wink but as a whole, is appropriate, considering the diversity we have of the audience.

Let us embrace our differences, and allow for our persons to show. There is a fine line with hubris to humility, and I see no showing off here in the postings. I read a lot of pride in the postings about Paete and the Memorabilia.

I'm pretty sure those interested can understand what is being said here.

No one needs to be intimidated here.

Let's continue to post here & enjoy our Memorabilia book.

Dan Dalan
vermad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for going off tangent and my sincere apology! I am in this Forum voluntarily and I will happily abide by its rules. I have all my friends here and have no plans to start my own website. Wink It is small stuff and as Marie suggested not worth sweating over. She tickled me though with her perfect Latin quote. I hope nobody will get offended by my indulging in a little pleasure! Wink
Emma Carreon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Memorabilia received Reply with quote

Hi Kang Fred,

I'd just like to inform you that I've received my copy of the book. It arrived last 9 January and I must say that the long wait is really worth it. I feel very priveleged that me and my family have been part of this wonderful project, it's something that we could add to our legacy that could be passed on to future generations. Maraming salamat sa tiyaga, determinasyon at pamumuno mo dahil kundi dahil sa yo, ito ay isang bahagi lang ng pangarap namin na maaaring di matupad. You can rest assured that whatever negative comments were made about it (or will be made, in any case) will fail in comparison to the countless accollades that it has most deservingly received so far! We cannot attend the Summit this year because we're going to the Phil. instead, but I'm sure we'll meet each other in person someday. When we do, please allow me to give you big hugs for a job well done. Thank you sooo much!!

With best regards,

Emma Baet-Carreon
33B Weldene Ave., Glenfield Auckland, New Zealand 0629
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Usap Paete All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum