PAETE.ORG FORUMS
Paetenians Home on the Net

HOME | ABOUT PAETE | USAP PAETE MUNISIPYO  | MEMBERS ONLY  | PICTORIAL PAETE | SINING PAETE  | LINKS  |

FORUM GUIDELINES
please read before posting

USAP PAETE Forum Index USAP PAETE
Discussion Forums for the people of Paete, Laguna, Philippines

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The art of Pinoy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Paete - Carving Capital Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: The art of Pinoy Reply with quote

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sto.....ryId=70541

The art of Pinoy

DIRECTLINE By BOY ABUNDA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Philippine art is diverse, just as the Pinoy is wonderfully unique. Its variety, originality and creativity strongly prove that we can be at par even with the best artists in the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Philippine Star

I literally gape every time I come across an awesome piece of art — whether it be a painting, a sculpture or a brilliantly crafted piece of furniture. You wonder at the mind that created it and the hands that built it. Some pieces move me to tears or laughter, that’s why when I go to exhibits, I check on myself fastidiously. I might just burst into a lachrymal bout, people might confirm my insanity. One day, when I’m free from the seductive clutches of television, I might just turn to clay sculpture or even pottery — that is infinitely fascinating.

Philippine art is diverse, just as the Pinoy is wonderfully unique. Its variety, originality and creativity strongly prove that we can be at par even with the best artists in the world. The artistic field is not for pure entertainment and decoration only. It also addresses practicality and use which represent the resourcefulness and enduring resilience of Filipinos even when faced with insurmountable adversities.

Whenever I hear of Paete, Laguna, its famous centuries-old tradition of woodcarvings always comes to my mind. Paete is a lakeside town located at the northeastern part of Laguna along the shores of Laguna de Bay. Paete derived its name from paet, a Tagalog word for chisel which is the principal tool used in woodcarving. Paete’s masterpieces like statues, pulpits and murals are found in churches, palaces and museums around the world like St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome, St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York, St. Joseph’s Shrine in Sta. Cruz, California, Ayala Museum in Makati City, among others. The town was proclaimed "the Carving Capital of the Philippines" in 2005 by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

Another interesting art in Paete is its takas (papier-mâché figurines). When you enter Paete, you will see workers laying brown paper papier-mâché figurines on the roadside for drying. The carvings are molded in paper and paste, dried out in the blazing heat of the sun then the molds are taken out of its cast. The products are put together again, dried one more time and painted. Inside the town, shops sell carabao figurines, Maria Clara dolls and horses, among others. Takas are examples of folk art. They are designed in bright color combination and are hand-painted. They are small enough for little kids to use as toys.

Potter and clay artist Ugo Bigyan’s house is located at Brgy. Lusacan in Tiaong, Quezon. Ugo’s art works are mostly functional. Among the things you will find at his shop are plates made of soft stone and in the shape of leaves; enchanting wind chimes; bracelets made from clay; bowls of different sizes and colors with simple but exquisite designs; and candy receptacle or platito which is decorated with twigs where ceramic butterflies or birds are perched. Bestsellers are the big tapestries, big jars, plates and dinner sets and other stoneware. His first contact with clay art was in high school when he also made a sculpture series called "Binhi," which were depictions of seeds in soft stone. Ugo went full-blast into pottery and clay art in 1995. People these days go to Tiaong just to buy his works.

Ramon Orlina, on the other hand, made his trademark in glass sculpture. What makes Ramon more outstanding in his chosen field is that he is self-taught with hardly any predecessor, mentor or influence to imitate. For decades, Ramon has been transfiguring glass into art. His works in green glass with shimmering curves, angles and contours enthrall those who see them. The whole process of Ramon’s glass sculpting is amazing. No one else in the world sculpts glass in its solid form. Unlike other glass artists who shape their glass by blowing the forms while the glass is still molten, Ramon carves, sculpts, grounds and polishes from rock-hard material. The glass he uses is in its annealed form; slow-cooled from a glass furnace’s bottom which is only available in the Philippines. His masterpieces earned him international recognitions and some of these works are displayed abroad. Some of his masterpieces are Oneness, an eight-meter high sculpture in glass, stainless steel and concrete at the Liwasang ASEAN of the CCP Complex and Arcanum XIX; Paradise Gained is a giant mural measuring six feet by nine and weighing three tons at the lobby of the Silahis International Hotel; Quintessence, a glass window installation is the centerpiece of the Singapore Art Museum; Fertile Crescent at the Marina Park of the Singapore Indoor Stadium; and New Horizon decorates the China Hotel in Guangzhou, China.

meg* Robinsons Galleria opens

meg*, the newest Filipino-made trendy apparel for women, will open another branch Tuesday at Level 2 West Lane in Robinsons Galleria. No less than meg*’s celebrity endorser Dawn Zulueta will cut the ribbon at the store opening.

meg* combines sophisticated designs with clean lines. Behind the fashionable clothing line are young Filipino designers whose creations will satisfy the fashionistas. meg* also introduces its summer collections. The wide selections of trendy apparel are sure to be one of summer’s wardrobe staples for women.

Other meg* stores are located at Glorietta; Alabang Town Center; Market! Market!; Tiendesitas Frontera Verde; Greenhills Theater Mall; Landmark; Robinsons Galleria; Robinsons Place Manila; SM Lazaro; SM South Mall and SM Dasmariñas.

For details, call 0919-8059911 or 0922-8667747.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Paete - Carving Capital Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum