PAETE.ORG FORUMS
Paetenians Home on the Net

HOME | ABOUT PAETE | USAP PAETE MUNISIPYO  | MEMBERS ONLY  | PICTORIAL PAETE | SINING PAETE  | LINKS  |

FORUM GUIDELINES
please read before posting

USAP PAETE Forum Index USAP PAETE
Discussion Forums for the people of Paete, Laguna, Philippines

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alay Computer will receive 18 computers from World Bank
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Batang Paete
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Alay Computer will receive 18 computers from World Bank Reply with quote

LETTER OF AGREEMENT FOR RECIPIENT ORGANIZATIONS

September 1, 2005

Angel C. de Dios and Emmanuel Cadayona
Paetenian Alliance for Education and Technology, INC.
Paete, Laguna, Philippines 4016

Dear Recipient:

Congratulations! We are pleased to announce that your organization’s request for used computers has been approved, is now available for pick-up. Please complete this form and return by fax to Gifts In Kind International ASAP. Please note, if we do not hear from you with in three days, your donation request will be canceled and the systems will be allocated to another agency

Your agency is eligible to receive 18 computer systems

Last edited by adedios on Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
fredmc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Wonderful News! Reply with quote

Angel,

Cheers to you and Ka Noel! I'm sure you were instrumental in getting the right connection to get these 18 computers. The Teachers and pupils back there will be very happy about this good news. Thank you.

FredMC
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The equipment consists of a Pentium III OptiPlexTM used desk top
computer system and/or laptop computer systems with approximately 20GB hard drive and 256MB of RAM, CDROM and/or a 3.5” 1.44 MB floppy disk drive with MS Windows Pro 2000 Operating System, mouse, keyboard and 17” Ultrascan and Trinitron Monitor. The plug is a U.S. Standard plug; the CPUs are equipped with a switch to for 110 and 220 capacity; if that is not appropriate in the country of use you can use an adapter/transformer for 110 voltage or simply cut the plug and attach the proper plug for the country’s voltage. In addition to the computer equipment, software, developed by Teachers Without Borders, called Certificate of Teaching Mastery will be installed on the computer. The software also includes two additional courses, “HIV-AIDS for Educators”, and “Learning and Earning: Establishing and Sustaining a Community Teaching & Learning Center”.
arlene alegre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re:Alay Computer Wins 18 computers from World Bank Reply with quote

Great Prof!

we're very happy prof. knowing this... good news. Madadagdagan na naman po ang mga computer unit ng mga bata."Imported pa" laking tuwa ito ng organization at talagang tunay po na maipapagpapatuloy ang kaalaman ng mga bata thru exploring,discovering, researching, e-mailing and even posting a reply paetenians abroad and others.
Prof we're very proud of you co'z with your unmeasurable effort.. di ito maisasakatuparan. Very Happy Very Happy Smile Smile Shocked
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: More info regarding this program Reply with quote

The above award is based on a proposal that I submitted in November of 2004. With the help of AnneLan, who provided me scanned images of PAETEch's registration materials (which enabled me to prepare the proposal), we were able to submit an application through Gifts-in-Kind, which is based in Northern Virginia, the place where I live. In January, I was able to get in touch with the World Bank officer in the Philippines who would be in charge of this program. She was currently in the World Bank office here in DC, where I had a friend who used to sing with me in St. Anthony's choir. With this contact, I was able to regularly update the World Bank office in the Philippines of our progress in Paete. Here is the original press release of World Bank in October of 2004, announcing the program:

Bank Computer Donation Program Kicks Off

October 13, 2004 -- The World Bank has kicked off a Computer Donation Program that will see over 12,000 computers given to needy groups around the globe. The computers, from more than 100 Bank country offices, will be distributed over the next nine months to non-government organizations, community, and non-profit groups who are primarily involved in the areas of health care, education, social services, youth, and job training.

“The World Bank is happy to donate these computers to community organizations who will use them to provide individuals with better opportunities to thrive and do well” said Viki Betancourt, Manager of the Community Outreach at the World Bank.“These computers have many good years ahead of them, and it is hoped this technology will help people achieve their full potential” said Betancourt.

The computers will assist DC area kids in reading, math, and spelling skills.

The program was launched last week when two truckloads of computers and office supplies were handed over to community groups in Washington DC, including Horton’s Kids, the National Children’s Centre, Boys and Girls Clubs, and Community Services for Autistic Adults and Children. Over 1000 computers will be donated in the District of Columbia area. Patrick Gunnin, who represented the Boys and Girls Clubs, said “the donated computers will be used for a homework program; developing educational plans for kids that assist with reading, math, and spelling skills.”

The program was the brainchild of World Bank Senior Information Officer Charlie Schueller who approached the Bank’s Community Outreach Program about donating computers that were being replaced at the Bank. Gifts in Kind International was selected as a partner to coordinate the extensive task of distributing the donated computers. Each computer will be loaded with a new operating system as well as a program that can help users earn a Certificate of Teaching Mastery; the software is being donated by Teachers without Borders. In addition, it was decided that World Links, a well known Non-Government Organization will receive approximately 5,000 computers for use in their world-wide educational programs.

The World Bank’s partner in this program, Gifts In Kind International, is the world’s leading charity in the field of product philanthropy, it will handle global distribution of the computers.Organizations interested in applying for computers are asked to visit http://www.giftsinkind.org/worldbank.asp or more information can be found at www.worldbank.org/dcoutreach.
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also add that the program was actually limited to 10 computers for each application. So we are indeed very fortunate that we are awarded 18 computers. There were a lot of applications. In fact, the Philippines was the first country in Asia to close its call for applications.
Arbin M. Sarmiento

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Well Done Reply with quote

Hi Prof.

Good News!!! Just like what you've said! It will multiply and multiply and multiply. I know, many more will come!

Arbin
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ENTERPRISE September 2005 issue, with a story on Batang Paete, is now
out.
mailaliwanag

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Prof,

Were back!, It's been a month na wala kayong naririnig from us IES, pasensya na po... but every now and then naman po ay naglolog ako sa usap, kaya nga lang talagang very busy ang mga teachers dito, at talagang wala silang ibang source kundi ako about the internet.
I'm informed about using the yahoo messenger, naiinstall ko na po sa mga computers dito, ischedule nyo lang po kung kelan at sasabihin ko po ke Ma'am Vicky. And about the projector sisimulan na rin po namin gamitin, hinihintay lang po namin yung screen.

Napakagandang balita po ang nabasa ko. Talagang pinagpapala po tayo..
It's a good news to everybody... Bali kagaling talaga ng taga-Paete!

maila
Laughing Laughing Laughing
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is really good news. We competed with a lot of other applications and it is amazing that we were even granted more than 10 computers (the limit they placed on all applications).

Ka Noel, please keep me informed regarding this grant. Thanks.
vernavarro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof,
If I have an old puter to send for alay puter what address and who is incharge in Paete I have to contact.
Pls. give some detail

thank you,
vernavarro
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka Noel is currently the president of PAETECH. PAETECH does not take used computers (as far as I know), unless they come in numbers - so that their maintenance (parts are similar, etc) is simpler. The computers coming from World Bank are Pentium III and these are better than the computers that are currently in the schools. There are several organizations in Paete that do need computers (One is the physical therapy NGO in Paete). By the way, Neneth Bagalso could surely use one right now Smile
kanoel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel,
Councilor Obet Pascual is now in manila to pick up the 18 computers from word bank. I'll call a meeting to discuss about the distribution scheme. Since you are the main man regarding this windfall we would like to consult you about it.
Regards,
Ka Noel
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendations are:

This may be too late, but I would like us to try to get 3 laptops out of the 18 - each school will get one, to pair with their multimedia projector.

The other 15 could be distributed as follows;

12 (4 for each school) and 3 for the Sangguniang Bayan.

Thanks (these are just recommendations, you are more aware of their needs and setup at the moment).
Vice Mutuk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Angel, Salamat sa reccomendations!!! Reply with quote

I have already talked with a DIGITEL representative on how to make SB a DSL subscriber.

We,(SB) have just re-aligned (sacrifice pala) our budget for seminars just to make sure the early connection of DSL this year and not next year as we have discussed last July when you visited Paete.

As per the representative, SB will have that DSL on the 1st week of October.

To you Angel, Maraming Salamat muli!!!
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mayor posted on the mailing list saying that the computers are in Paete already - were they all desktops?

If all 18 are desktops, this is what I recommend

5 - Ibaba
4 - Quinale
4 - Central
5 - Sangguniang Bayan
reyc
Forum Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Angel, Salamat sa reccomendations!!! Reply with quote

Vice Mutuk wrote:
As per the representative, SB will have that DSL on the 1st week of October.

Dear Vice Mayor Mutuk,

Mawalang galang po, but how much is the cost of networking the SB building with the munisipyo either through a direct cable connection or through a wireless connection? Siguro ay hindi naman kamahalan yon dahil malapit lang naman ang distansya. If you will subscribe the SB to its own DSL account, that will be a periodic expense that will eat up on your monthly budget. But if you can connect the SB building to the Munisipyo, the initial investment could be steep but you do not need to pay for another DSL subscription. You will simply be sharing the DSL connection of the Munisipyo which may still be underutilized at the moment. That is only a side-benefit of networking the SB and the Munisipyo. The other benefits would be the economy of scale. You will be able to share your IT resources - printers, faxes, scanners, servers, application software, etc.
kanoel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel,
All of the 18 computers are desktops (Dell) May isa na kaming nasubukan at nagaagawan na dito ang mga head of office. I'll have to consult Paetech Board of Directors taking into account your recommendation as to the distrubution of these computers.
Vice Mutuk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Rey Carolino's Suggestion. Reply with quote

Rey, sorry for this late reply and thanks for the suggestions!

Will discuss it with Ka Noel. To tell you frankly, my knowledge with Internet is limited. I am just very eager for the early connection of our DSL so that we (the SB members) could regurlarly join the paete group here.

Rey, me plano rin kami na maging open sa mamamayan ng paete ang Sangguniang Bayan especially, yung mga computers. Under kasi ng SB ang Municipal Library at malaking bagay ito sa mga estudyante tungkol sa kanilang mga assignments. Bukas nga pala ang SB hanggang 7pm weekdays para maaccomodate yung mga estudyante. Bukod pa ron, ang ating mga kababayan na ang asawa o kamag-anak ay nagtratrabaho sa ibayong dagat.Thru E-mail naman yon. Ang nasabing plano ay napag-usapan namin ni Angel last July noong narito siya sa Paete kaya siguro di niya(Angel) nalimutan na bahaginan ang SB ng mga computers.

Humaba na ang kwento ko. Paumanhin uli sa delay kong pagtugon. Pag-usapan naming mabuti ito ni Ka Noel.

Maraming salamat po!

Vice Mutuk
tcdedios

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Angel, Salamat sa reccomendations!!! Reply with quote

reyc wrote:
But if you can connect the SB building to the Munisipyo, the initial investment could be steep but you do not need to pay for another DSL subscription.

Kang and Vice-Mayor Mutuk,

Yes, I agree with Ka Rey's suggestion. You should take consideration on this. If the distance between the SB Bldg and municipal office is less than 100 meters, it's possible or else wireless connection will be doable. Smile

-- Insan Thom
Vice Mutuk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Re- Insan Thom's comments Reply with quote

Insan Thom, Salamat sa yong second opinion. Have talked already with Mhey Bagalso for the possibilities. Meron na daw abang na mga linya, kasama ang SB, para sa DSL ng office of the Mayor. Meron lang yatang problema na dapat ayusin pa.

Maraming salamat sa payo nyo ni Rey.
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Message from World Bank Reply with quote

Dear Mayor Cadayona,

In behalf of the Bank, I would also like to say Thank You! to you and your
organization for ensuring that our used computers will be put to good use. It
is our pleasure and privilege to be of help to your organization and its
activities which helps a lot of school children and teachers.

Best regards.

Eva Franzuela-Cardenas
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rey Carolino's Suggestion. Reply with quote

Vice Mutuk wrote:

Ang nasabing plano ay napag-usapan namin ni Angel last July noong narito siya sa Paete kaya siguro di niya(Angel) nalimutan na bahaginan ang SB ng mga computers.

Yes, I remember our discussion, that is why I have SB in mind when I made my recommendation. SB is in fact better positioned for the Unlimited Potential program of Microsoft since it is more like a community-based learning center outside of school.

For wireless networking, the municipal office will need both a wireless router and, for each computer, a compatible wireless adapter. LinkSys (owned by Cisco) provides these products.
reyc
Forum Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: DSL Connection Reply with quote

Vice Mutuk wrote:
I am just very eager for the early connection of our DSL so that we (the SB members) could regurlarly join the paete group here.

Its good to know that the entire SB membership will soon have Internet access. We look forward viewing your SB session online.

Actually networking the Munisipyo with the SB should be a quick job because of its proximity. Once connected, you automatically get access to the Munisipyo's Internet connection.

What you may want to do is to subscribe to the DSL on an interim basis while working on the networking. If you can simply rent (rather than buy) the DSL modem and sign-up on a short-term contract that will allow you to discontinue the service anytime once the SB-Munisipyo connection is in place.

When we were brainstorming the possible Internet connectivity options of the Munisipyo, SB and the three schools with Roel Ocampo (Angel's techie friend who is currently in UK), we thought that it will be more economical and practical if we buy a single but large DSL subscription for all the sites to share- than four or five smaller but independent DSL lines.

Having different DSL connections will result to underutilization on the smaller sites while the bigger sites are having traffic congestion. If we only have one large DSL connection that the schools and the Munisipyo/SB can share, you will be able to utilize the DSL line more efficiently and more importantly a cheaper monthly subscription fee.

Vice Mayor wrote:
me plano rin kami na maging open sa mamamayan ng paete ang Sangguniang Bayan especially, yung mga computers.

I think that is a very good idea.
adedios
SuperPoster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Microsoft's Unlimited Potential Grant Reply with quote

Although some would like to emphasize the importance of text messaging or the internet in the success of helping the New Orleans Paetenians, I think what is most important is the fact that there were people who were more than willing to drop what they were doing to attend to the needs of others. We all have our full time jobs and day-to-day responsibilities, yet we could find time to do extra work to help others. I think that is the most important lesson I have seen in the past events - and I am very grateful to the people of the DC chapter for demonstrating such good example to all.

I hope we learn from these - It is not really about our exposure to media, a short blip on TV, it is really about people ready to give their time and resources when necessary. With this regard, I would like to remind the officers of PAETECH that the deadline for application to the Unlimited Potential grants of Microsoft is fast approaching. If we are going to submit an application, please be considerate - I would need time to prepare it and I will also have to find time for it within my busy schedule. The closer we get to the deadline - the harder for me to find that time. I know that we are all volunteers, but this is what volunteer work is about. I have been waiting for a couple of months already and I really wish we could act a lot faster. I think one more week of delay and we would not be able to finish an application. It will be a lost opportunity to get tens of thousands of dollars - to support the teachers, students and NGOs of Paete. Don't you think this is worth a little sacrifice from us? Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Batang Paete All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum