PAETE.ORG FORUMS
Paetenians Home on the Net

HOME | ABOUT PAETE | USAP PAETE MUNISIPYO  | MEMBERS ONLY  | PICTORIAL PAETE | SINING PAETE  | LINKS  |

FORUM GUIDELINES
please read before posting

USAP PAETE Forum Index USAP PAETE
Discussion Forums for the people of Paete, Laguna, Philippines

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joseph "Otep" Banez - Painter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Paete - Carving Capital Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mutuk
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Joseph "Otep" Banez - Painter Reply with quote

A NAUGHTY LOOK AT LIFE IN PAETE
by: Dr. P. Nepo

Manila Bulletin Monday October 13, 2008
ARTS AND LIVING SECTION

It is hard to believe that his painting career started just over a year ago, when a certain gallery owner discovered his raw talent. Immediately Otep Bañez’s`s brand of Pinoy Pop-Social Realism took the market by storm, and is now one of the top sellers in contemporary art.

The success story of Joseph "Otep" Bañez is as humorous as his creations; As a young lad growing up in Paete, Laguna, he was a "barriotic jologs," a" teacher`s enemy number one," and a "hari ng sablay."

Otep was born in 1976 in Paete, where his natural talent in art was developed. His work was greatly influenced by Norman Rockwell and cartoonist Larry Alcala, who was known for his comic and detailed compositions. Otep depicts the daily episodes of provincial life. Folksy as his works may seem, Otep is able to find humor in these "barriotic beauties" that appeal to even urban dwellers.

Jologs as he claims to be, there is something so pungent about his character. His art tackles topics that are strange but true. Favorite themes include circumcision, extramarital affairs, barangay rumbles, urination, and even self- gratification.

Without any pretenses and with great bravado, Otep laughingly talks about his background as a sophomore in high school who loved to annoy his teachers. As Paete is the carving capital of the country, he tried out his luck in the field. He then worked in the USA as a butler and later on an ice carver. He even won in an ice carving competition in Chicago. Back in the country, he also carved the Ice Palace of Star City in 2004-2005.

When he found himself jobless in 2006, he experimented with painting. For a natural talent like Otep, it was a matter of interpreting sculpture to a two-dimensional medium without any formal training. With the humility of a "promdi," he peddled his stuff from gallery to gallery. Dealing with rejection and insulting comments about his works became the norm. One gallery owner even gave him money as a charitable act so he could discard his works and buy new materials. It had to take an equally mischievous art genius to discover the commercial potential of this genre which was first considered garbage.

Otep says he gets his ideas for his paintings by being "tsismoso" (a gossip). He purposely tunes in to the real-life telenovelas in his barangay, focusing on what is juicy and scandalous. A lot of his subjects were sourced from stories shared during late-night drinking sessions at the local sari-sari store.

The stories of his paintings are most often real events that he imparts as satire. Naughty as he is, he even captures the likeness of the real people involved in the scandal. After all, these provincial folks he impishly exploits never go to art galleries in Metro Manila. They will never find out about these artistic exposes, Otep hopes.

Among the standouts of the Otep Bañez "Chismis Collection" is "Run-away Bride," which depicts a bride being abducted by her true love, as she was forced by her parents to marry some rich guy. The entire barangay is seen running after the bride as she is swept off her feet.

"Habol!" shows a shrewish woman chasing her naked husband and his naked concubine. The husband is seen covering his privates as the other woman covers her head with a bayong. "Last Two Minutes " recreates the provincial courtship (pag-akyat ng ligaw). It shows an angry father and a sleepy mother safeguarding their virginal daughter against the possible passes of an overstaying, insensitive suitor.

"Tulian ng Bayan" captures the terror unleashed by the primitive circumcision procedures of the butcher-arbolaryo. In the province, this is a summer activity as part of the rites of passage for a boy’s journey to manhood. In "She-Boom-Booba," a woman in red struts her stuff in scandalous fashion in a conservative neighborhood of Paete.

She-Boom-Booba

According to Otep, his works sell because Pinoys can relate to them. After all, a lot of sophisticated people in Manila also hail from the provinces. His paintings give them a sense of retrospect towards their ethnic origin.

here is the link http://www.mb.com.ph/archive_p.....37870.html

Congrats and More Power Pareng Otep!!!

Ito pong nasa taas ay bigay sa akin ni Pareng Otep at nakasabit sa aking opisina dito sa SB. Magkano na kaya ito ngayon? Laughing

Ito naman pong mga nasa ibaba nito ay kuha noong isang taon pa May 08, 2007 noong ako ay minsang pumasyal sa kanya. Buti pala at nai-save ko sa file ko.

my file copy of Otep Banez photo (stolen shot) taken November last year when we attended Beyok Acala's exhibit "Entablado" .

Last edited by mutuk on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
cvafuang

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Joseph "Otep" Banez Reply with quote

mutuk wrote:

He even won in an ice carving competition in Chicago.

Vice Mutuk,

What year was this?

We used to have a lot of Paetenians ice carver here in Chicago and most of them won in ice carving competions but I think I missed this one. Sorry, just curious...

Cheers!
cesar
leeq

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Joseph 'Otep' Banez at Philippine Headline News Online (PHNO Reply with quote

once again we are very proud of a son of Paete, Otep Banez.
ARTS & LIVING: A NAUGHTY LOOK AT PAETE (from Manila Bulletin)

http://www.newsflash.org/2004/02/tl/tl013239.htm

special thanks to Mutuk for his post and photos here at Usap.
okay baga, Vice? Smile Wink
tlee
mutuk
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tlee,

The pleasure is mine Very Happy

Here is the link on my previous postings regarding the "Summer Art Workshop" sponsored by the group of Otep and other group since 2003 for the benefit of our would be artists young generation of Paete. http://www.paete.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1699

Thanks,
vice mutuk

p.s.

Cesar,

Will ask Otep for the details.

Musta rin sa inyo dyan sa Chicago!

same

mutuk
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph Bañez

Joseph Bañez was born in Paete, Laguna on May 11, 1976, the fifth child of eight siblings of Speridion Bañez and Salvacion Fernandez. His passion for drawing started early when he was still a kindergarten student. He studied at the Balian National Highschool for his primary and secondary education, where he was occasionally being reprimanded for his mishaps, some for putting vandalisms on C.R. walls. But he was forced to stop due to financial problems. By 12 years old, he was already working as an assistant for a Panaflex signage shop. He also studied sculpting, a common livelihood in Paete. It was also around this time where he tried his hand at painting. Bañez would always ask other artists for advice, and would try and experiment on various mediums before he found oil as his medium of choice. He would sell his pieces during town festivals and his work, Tuli (circumcision) became a hit among visiting balikbayans.

With a stroke of luck, Bañez got himself out of the country around 2000 and into St. Louis, Missouri to work as a kitchen artist. He joined various contests in T-shirt design and ice sculpting. However, the low morale of the country in the midst of a post 9/11 era made him go back to the Philippines to start anew.

Bañez was also involved in the design of the Ice Palace, Time Tunnel, and other attractions in Star City with Manolo Punzalan, where he was hired as a contractor in 2005 to develop the amusement park. After finishing his contract with Star City, Bañez continued to paint, often selling it to galleries. In June 2007, he met Pipo Alcantara of Art Circle Gallery where he became one of the gallery’s staple artists.

Bañez’ carefree attitude, coupled with his childhood’s distaste for studying and dreams of endless summer vacations reflect the same energy and gusto in his works. His early idols were Aguilar Alcuaz and fellow kabayan Manuel Baldemor Comic artist Larry Alcala’s works inspired him greatly, but it was from Norman Rockwell’s adept portrayal of human emotions that Bañez looked up to. He has drawn extensively from his life experiences, and often from observing children in his hometown, which he fondly calls “Sitio Mabata” for having unusual number of children.

He continues to live in Paete with his wife, Cynthia Balan-Bañez and his two children, Jasmine and John Paul.

Here is the link ART CIRCLE GALLERY - Online Exhibit
http://www.artcircle-gallery.com/onlineexhibit.htm

and some of his works
http://www.artcircle-gallery.com/banez.htm

Note:

Cesar,

Should be St. Louis, Missouri (2001-2002) and not Chicago as per Otep.

Your welcome,
vice mutuk

munting salibanda

Last edited by mutuk on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:24 am; edited 7 times in total
OTEPBANEZ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: CORRECTION ABOUT CHICAGO Reply with quote

may correction po about the chicago. s st.louis po un. in missouri.

sa lacklieds landing st.charles ,mo po

ing third po ako dun.jan 26,2002 ( fete de galace festival of ice)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: mali hindi chicago Reply with quote

sorry po nagakamali ung dyaryo.

sa st.chrles ,mo.(fete de glace festival of ice 2002)3rd flace po

i use to work at marriot hotel pavilion. in down town st,louis Laughing
ung about s chicago.nagkamali. we been to bensville or belle vile ay sa nica competition.i there with vadid van camp( icevision ice sculpture) i work with him part time. and part of his team. sige po. have a good day!
evelynv

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Otep Banez Painting Balik Paete 2004 Reply with quote

After we registered for the Balik Paete 2004 (December), we stopped by Kape Kesada and we were in awe of the enormous talent of Paete's young artists. Otep Banez work caught our eyes because of his style and the colors of his painting that was on display at the time. Otep happened to be there and we took some pictures of him with the painting as well as the other beautiful paintings that were on display.

This painting is what Amang Tom mentioned in one of his postings in the mailing list. Saida Dulay confirmed that Susan "Jet" Caguin Simonis bought this painting.

Quote from ML posting:"Saida C. Dulay"
Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:32 pm (PDT)

"Iba talaga ang style ni Otep, unique at may kakaibang humor. In that painting, iba’t iba ang character ng mga pasahero sa loob ng jeepney. May isang mandurukot doon… and that was Otep himself. "
cvafuang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CORRECTION ABOUT CHICAGO Reply with quote

OTEPBANEZ wrote:
may correction po about the chicago. s st.louis po un. in missouri.

sa lacklieds landing st.charles ,mo po

ing third po ako dun.jan 26,2002 ( fete de galace festival of ice)

Otep & Vice Mutuk,

Thanks for the clarification.

Goodluck to both of you!

cesar
saida

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Otep Banez Painting Balik Paete 2004 Reply with quote

evelynv wrote:

This painting is what Amang Tom mentioned in one of his postings in the mailing list. Saida Dulay confirmed that Susan "Jet" Caguin Simonis bought this painting.

Quote from ML posting:"Saida C. Dulay"
Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:32 pm (PDT)

"Iba talaga ang style ni Otep, unique at may kakaibang humor. In that painting, iba’t iba ang character ng mga pasahero sa loob ng jeepney. May isang mandurukot doon… and that was Otep himself. "

Uy…maraming salamat Evelyn. Maigi pala at may nakuha kang picture nung “Jeepney” painting ni Otep. Mas na-appreciate ko ito ngayon kaysa nung una kong nakita 4 years ago.

Sa ating mga kababayan…tumatanggap po si Otep ng made to order paintings, sabihin nyo lang kung anong eksene ang gusto ninyo and the people you want to be in that painting, napakagandang souvenir. Yun sana ang balak namin nina Jet noon…magpapagawa kami kay Otep at mga mukha ng aming barkada ang ilalagay, sayang at hindi natuloy.

Samantalahin ninyo habang maaga pa…pag sikat na sikat na si Otep at baka triple na ang presyo ng kanyang mga gawa... Smile Smile Smile

Salamat ulit Evelyn….

Saida
vermad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Otep Banez Reply with quote

I think Otep Banez is a genius. All he needs is the Midas touch. Do you know if he has a portfolio of his works? I wish to get in touch with him and maybe market his talents in the U.S.

Sa palagay ko'y nang isabog ng Dios ang talent sa mundo marami sa mga taga Paete ang nakasahod ang kamay at sila'y nabahaginan.

I think Paetenians are a very passionate people. We don't do things half-assed. Nasa atin na yata ang lahat ng artistic talent. LOL!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Otep Banez Reply with quote

vermad wrote:
I think Otep Banez is a genius. All he needs is the Midas touch. Do you know if he has a portfolio of his works? I wish to get in touch with him and maybe market his talents in the U.S.

Sa palagay ko'y nang isabog ng Dios ang talent sa mundo marami sa mga taga Paete ang nakasahod ang kamay at sila'y nabahaginan.

I think Paetenians are a very passionate people. We don't do things half-assed. Nasa atin na yata ang lahat ng artistic talent. LOL!

otep banez

hirap po akong mka log on kaya npkalimited po ung refly ko.salamat po s pag appreciate ng works ko.napasama lang siguro po ako sa natalsikan ng talent. i was pretty bless bcuz i was born in our town. buti n lang dito ng move ang mga magulang ko. from bicol, i was so blessed talaga.i got all of my idea on my surroundings. i locve noise from the kalapit bahay and siste and chizmis.salamat mga kalapit bahay, sa totoo po ang hirap magpangiti ng tao sa painting.vice mutuk knows who i am very well .i was 31 yrs old , but ang mga kaibigan ko sa inuman is mga mas matanda sa akin or more mature.40's 50's or even 70'. i use to laught in there jokes and chismis. pls give me ur email address so i can send u pics. and show it to our kababayan. tnx po and god bless
[img][/img]
jean sadsad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kuya Otep,

I must say kuya as he was older than jeneth her sister who was my classmate in high school.

CONGRATS!!! and I'll be praying that more people will be inspired with you paintings... Ang galing mo. Kuhang kuha ko nga eh... jokessssss....

Regards kina jeneth, ate jeline (tama di ba?tagal na kasi na di kami nagkita) at sa nanay at tatay mo.

God Bless you!!!

jean sadsad

Dhoy Mendoza
Jean Sadsad Mendoza
Darah Jemuel
Dorcas Jewel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jean sadsad wrote:
Hi Kuya Otep,

I must say kuya as he was older than jeneth her sister who was my classmate in high school.

CONGRATS!!! and I'll be praying that more people will be inspired with you paintings... Ang galing mo. Kuhang kuha ko nga eh... jokessssss....

Regards kina jeneth, ate jeline (tama di ba?tagal na kasi na di kami nagkita) at sa nanay at tatay mo.

God Bless you!!!

jean sadsad

OTEP BAÑEZ

KUMUSTA, KUNG GAANO AKO KABALIW NOONG SA PAITING KO NA LANG GINAGAWA,KASI NAGBAIT NAKO, Rolling Eyes

OO SIGE KUMUSTA KITA KAY JENET, UNG TEACHER NA NAKOKONSENSYA NGA AKO EH, KASI NAALALA KO NUNG STUDYANTE PA AKO, ANG KULIT KO, SANA WAG BUMALIK UNG KARMA KO KAY JENET. SI ATE JELEN AY 3 NA ANG ANAK, AKO 2, KAYO ILAN NA?

GOB BLESS DIN SA INYO.
jucot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: to otep Reply with quote

musta na otep, ok ah nasa dyaro ka na,,,,, ikaw na nga.... "halimaw ka na talaga" congrats more power

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: to otep Reply with quote

jucot wrote:
musta na otep, ok ah nasa dyaro ka na,,,,, ikaw na nga.... "halimaw ka na talaga" congrats more power

otep banez

pre kumusta na? sayang di kumpleto ung nakita mo eh. sa dyaryo ay lima ang nandun.mukhang painting na siguro ang bread and butter ko.sayang di ka nagtuloy,si lolong nga pla umuwi ,kaso di km nagkita. tntxt nya lang ako. si peso nandito,ayon ngiwi p din, musta ka na dyan.bigay mo email mo. pra maimail kita ng iba kung works, gusto mo picture ko? mabili ngyon un, kalaban ng dora, hehe!

slmat kay vice, jkung di s knya eh ndi p tyo magkakamustahan, sige ingat ka dyan palagi. ingat sa shawarma! god bless. gud day

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Otep Banez Painting Balik Paete 2004 Reply with quote

otep banez

salamay po sa papuri,i wish na matuloy po ung balak nyong pagawa sa akin, kasi po may mga nagpacommision n sa akin ibat ibang tao, pro sa taga paete sympre mas maganda,thank u po, god bless

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Otep Banez Painting Balik Paete 2004 Reply with quote

otep banez

salamat po uli sa inyong papuri,thank you pti kasi wala akong kopya nitong jeep n maganda,the picture was so clear.and its very important to me. kasi dito nag start ung stayle ko, kasabay po ito ung tuli nung kay amang tom and inang lucia,nakita ko tuloy yong evolution ng works ko.after na magawa ko po yan is wala akong siguradong market so i stop , siguro that year is not so lucky for me. i dont even stay that long in the field of paiting, kasi mahirap. so nangontrata ako ng fiber glass. pro di ako masaya, so i started to paint again,subok ng subok pro walang nabili.pinagduduldulan ko nga dati trabaho ko eh, 2007 i met pipo alcantara,at dun nagtuloy tuloy na po. and i think dininig na ng diyos ung prayer ko, na prayer khit sino mang nagsisimulang artist, dapat po talaga ay di tititgil.ang umayaw talo. marami nga po akong nkkitang mga batang may talent at yung iba ay nasusubaybayn ko. pro nanghihinayang ako kasi habang lumalaki sila ay nawawala ang interest sa art.kakulangan sa market strtegy siguro ang dahilan.kasi walng siguradong pagdadalhan.i wish some of our fellow artist see what i see.and help our younger seedling sana. i tried,pro masyado p din akong bata sa larangang ng art. sige po nagiging dramatic na ako, comedy nga pla ng field ko. sige ingat!thanks o
jean sadsad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuya Otep,

Akala ko di ka sasagot sa message ko. he he he... 2 na rin anak ko. Wag ka mag alala, mabait si jenet, hindi hahayaan ng Panginoon na may masamang mangyari sa kanya. Natutuwa naman ako't mabait ka na. wahahaha. oo nga naman pag babalikan natin nung high school tayo eh di ko talaga maisip na magkakaganyan ka. Anak ka talaga ng Diyos, kasi di ka Nya pinabayaan. Ipagpatuloy mo lang. Ang gaganda ng mga paintings mo as in kakaiba. Proud na proud siguro sila sa yo.

Ingat ka lagi. Pakisabi kay Mam Jenet, mag asawa na. Kasi ako naka 2 na.

God Bless!!!

mag church ka na ha... sama ka kay jenet at kay ate jelyn

Dhoy Mendoza
Jean Sadsad Mendoza
Darah Jemuel
Dorcas Jewel
mutuk
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heto po yung ilan pa sa mga naging trabaho ni Pareng Otep:

Last two minutes!!!

Oh ilaw sa gabing madilim

Birthday ni Otep
(Si otep po yung naka cap hehehe!)

Heto pong huling dalawa ay pasadya na mukha nung pamilyang nagpagawa sa kanya ang naging modelo

jelen b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

thanks for showing me wer it post,i thought you have your own web site.ang ganda ng works, di ko alam na ganyan ka na kagaling, ive seen your works at shang rila and mall of asia .im still keeping ur painting in my house, hope you can visit one day to see it ,kung naalala mo pa.

sige happy new year bro
mel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: PAINT Reply with quote

PARENG OTEP.
ANG GALING TALAGA NG KAMAY MO.HANGAN HANGA AKO.IPAGPATULOY MO PA .SANA LALO KANG MAGTAGUMPAY SA MGA DARATING PANG BAGONG LIKHANG GAWA MO.

CHEF MEL
otep banez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salamat mel at nabisita mo itong post ni vice, thanx vice, pre i was so bless nakasama kita nung nagvisit ung ambassador ng spain,di man tyo nakapaginom e happy naman,sa pagtambay natin dito sa gallery ng kape kesada,sa lahat nga pala sa mga tumulong at sumuporta at nag-assiste sa lahat to make that event possilbe,in behalf of paete art guild,salamat po ng marami, and the centurion thank you po. i wiss we will get the same support in the innaguration of the paete cultural center exhibit and continue to support the paete art guild, the exhibit is was great, i wish we can do it again,mabuhay ang kulturang paete!

joseph otep bañez
paete art guild

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing weyksssss penge po ng painting...galing talaga nyang c otep..paglaki gagayahin q yan..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing sana nga mdami p tayong exhibits n mpagsamahan..at tnx sa mga tips n sinishare u sa mga co artist u..blessed k kc humble k ei..layo p mararating u I'M SURE..

JULIE AGBADA
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USAP PAETE Forum Index -> Paete - Carving Capital Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum